Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Can't Open Any Programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aaaQueen

aaaQueen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

:thumbsup: I try to open various programs on my pc, but each one gives me the same error message when i try to open them: "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged" or something like that.
I am not even able to get to System Restore, it states: Error - c/:windows/system32/rundll32.exe - The archive is either in unknown format or damaged. Can't open any *.exe files
:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

See if this is of any help:
Cannot run EXE files - Programs don't open
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 aaaQueen

aaaQueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for the quick response, I will try that and get back withcha :flowers:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

You're welcome, aaaQueen.
Let us know how it goes.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 aaaQueen

aaaQueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

[i]Hello Guys, I am back in business once again :thumbsup: I tried your suggestion and had no luck, so I rebooted my pc in safemode and went into System Restore and it worked. :flowers: As an added precaution I created another user account on my pc because I only had one account and it has a password. No one hardly ever gets on my machine, maybe once a year when my children come for Christmas. I know how important it is to protect my dearest friend and greatest investment. I could never express all my gratitude to you guys and to this website. Bless you and hope to communicate with you soon under better circumstances. :trumpet:

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:49 PM

That's good news, aaaQueen.
Glad to hear you're back up, and running again.
Thanks for posting back, and letting us know how you got the problem resolved. :thumbsup:

#7 aaaQueen

aaaQueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:50 AM

I rebooted my pc in safemode and went into System Restore. Afterwards I was able to get into all programs and connected to internet and scanned for parasites that may have caused the problem in the first place. Also, OldTimer had review my other post and diagnosed my HijackThis log and gave me more instructions on repairing my PC. I thank God I found this website, you guys are a blessing to the PC community. Again, thank you! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users