Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single BIOS beep, then slave hard drive disappears.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Z-Rabbit

Z-Rabbit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

So, sometimes when I am playing a graphics-intensive game, my computer will throw up a single BIOS beep, and then seconds later, I'll hear the "hardware removed" sound that windows makes, at which point my slave hard drive disappears from windows explorer. (it holds all the program files, etc., while the master SSD holds the OS). Anything that was using the hard drive (like all of my games) will stop within seconds.

If I reset the computer, it's working again.

I've tried swapping SATA ports, updating the firmware, and I'm running out of ideas. The issue doesn't happen %100 percent of the time, so I can't always recreate it to see if the problem is fixed. Also, I'm running windows 7 64-bit.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

Hi

Do you think the hard drive may be overheating? If so, make sure that it is in a place where it is getting sufficient airflow around it. You can monitor the temperature of most hard drives with software. Lately I've been using Open Hardware Monitor
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
Some machines require you to run it as administrator to see all the sensors.

Let us know if there have been any other errors or symptoms.

Also, having a drive shutdown like that can corrupt data, you might want to run chkdsk on that drive to make sure that it is healthy.

James

#3 Z-Rabbit

Z-Rabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

No, I don't think so. I was running HWiNFO64 while I was playing Batman Arkham Asylum, and after I got the beep and subsequent hard drive disappearance, I checked the log, and it shows the hard drive running at a consistent 30 degrees.

Also, as per your recommendation, I ran chkdsk on the drive in question, and it came back fine.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hi

Next thing to check would be power. At this point, we need more details. Specifically model of the hard drive, manufacturer/model of the PC or if custom some specs about your motherboard, power supply, video card and RAM.

Do you have access to another PSU that you can try on the computer?

The beep and disappearance of the drive indicates a hardware function in the drive's onboard logic that is shutting down the drive to prevent it from damage. If it were a function of the operating system software it would typically shutdown the whole system in order to protect it. Two things that cause a drive to do this are power and temperature.

Does HWiNFO64 give you the S.M.A.R.T. information for the drive? That might give us a clue.

James

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hello,
Does your Slave Hardrive is SATA?
If yes please check your Data / Power Cable, if you have another cable please consider to change it and give it a try.
This problem usually happens on SATA Hardrive that loose their connection.

The beep and disappearance of the drive indicates a hardware function in the drive's onboard logic that is shutting down the drive to prevent it from damage. If it were a function of the operating system software it would typically shutdown the whole system in order to protect it. Two things that cause a drive to do this are power and temperature.

I think that Beep indicates BIOS detect Hardrive loose connection (Data / Power) and not shutting down the drive to prevent it from damage.
About Operating System Software function, it doesn't have auto shutdown function to protect something, it will only freeze you sytem not shut it down.
About two things that you talk about, please dont forget about Data Cable as if that cable loose their connection it will make you drive missing.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 Z-Rabbit

Z-Rabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

The only SMART info I'm able to get from the drive is temperature, which was reading fine.

This is a custom-built rig that I put together in February, I'll list the hardware that may be applicable here.

The hard drive in question is a Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5 TB, model #ST1500DL003-9VT16L.
The motherboard is an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 w/ i-2500k processor.
Power supply is a Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W.
Video card is MSI Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB.
And as for RAM, I'm running G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (OC)

I don't have any extra power supplies laying around, but I might be able to get one from a buddy of mine, more on that later.

I'll check the cables after I post this, and make sure everything is sitting pretty. Update to follow.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hi

For that drive you should see the SMART info in HWiNFO64 when you select the drive.
Under Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.

Here is a screenshot from one of the machines in my lab...

Posted Image

James

EDIT: If 'sensors only' is checked when you start HWiNFO64 be sure to uncheck it to see the info like in the screenshot.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 07 May 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#8 Z-Rabbit

Z-Rabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

*UPDATE* Sorry it took so long, but I eventually had a friend of mine run extensive stress tests, and all my hardware came back fine, so he postulated that a reinstall of windows might do the trick. He was partially right. It worked better, but I would still have the issue after a while. What I found eventually worked was flashing the BIOS to a newer version... I don't remember the details now, but it apparently had better support for my setup. Anyway, since flashing the BIOS, I have not had a single reoccurrence, knock on wood.

Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of these occasional micro-stutters... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users