Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor Slider bar

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gben123

gben123

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Just purchased a Lenovo laptop with Win7 installed. When moving the mouse cursor, a slider bar occasionally appears momentarily and messes up what I'm trying to do. I've seen this problem described on other websites without any explanations forthcoming. This problem occurred from the outsst so I know it's not due to anything I've installed. This problem manifests itself both on the desktop as well as when navigating in Firefox. Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

both on the desktop as well as when navigating in Firefox.

Same thing -
Can you post a screen shot of this - Some may understand, but I find the description odd -

Also (if New) >"Just purchased a Lenovo laptop with Win7 installed."< can you take this back to where you purchased it

Thank You -

#3 gben123

gben123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Unfortunately the thing appears only momentarily and any keystroke or cursor movement will cause it to disappear. In my searching though I did find this reference to the same problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/a-scroll-bar-appears-next-to-my-cursor-and-starts/505fae10-9af5-4cb7-9779-32514d0a255f

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

this site tell one how to use the slider bar ,its a lenova tool installed by them ,and needs to be setup for use by you .if you don't want to use it you should be able to disable it ,by using msconfig or microsofts
Autoruns in autoruns go to startup and it should show in there

http://www.ehow.com/how_7643933_use-slidenav-lenovo-y450.html

Autoruns.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 gben123

gben123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Here's a screenshot. It's in the lower right corner.

Naturally the website won't allow me to upload the file (.docx). How can I get it to you?

#6 gben123

gben123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

OK, here it is as an .htm.

Attached Files

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

When that Slider appears is your finger by the bottom edge or the right side of the touchpad?

I would expect it to appear then as that is to let you scroll up and down or left and right. It also is to warn you that you are in the scroll bar area so you don't scroll inadvertently.

Easy to test. Open a webpage and put you finger in the center of the right side, can you scroll down or up by moving your finger up and down?

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 May 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

You can attach a file. I create jpgs by pressing the print screen key and pasting into paint and cropping and saving as .jpg

Then use the full editor and you will see a browse box. Browse to where you saved the file and select

Attach the file

Or read the help with attaching files slightly further down the page.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 gben123

gben123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Rotor123,

What you expect is the same thing that I would expect. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. As stated earlier, it only appears randomly and momentarily and doesn't behave in any way that I can control.

caperjac,

The website is wrong. The cursor was on the computer when I purchased it and there's nothing in msconfig like what the website refers to. But I appreciate you looking into it.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hi

I suppose it could be a fluky touchpad. Since you just bought it you could do through Lenovo for warranty or go to their website and locate a authorized service center near you where you could walk in for service.

There are approx 5 or 6 within 20 miles of where I am. Since they are independents they might be more helpful for you. I understand that Lenovo, as well as Toshiba and Okidata, Overnight parts needed for warranty. Unless it is ordered Friday then I'd expect delivery on Monday since weekend deliveries are very expensive.

I would expect them to turn it around in one or two days, Much faster than if you were to ship it to Lenovo for warranty work. Either way I would want the drive backed up.

I've sent a couple of laptops to HP for warranty. Each took 2 or 3 weeks. Fortunately I have spares.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 gben123

gben123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

So, I'm a moron. Turns out there's a little segment or line on the touchpad and when you move your finger along it you get the scrollbar. Who knew? I've always hated laptops.

Thanks everyone for your help.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Well that takes the place of the scroll wheel on a mouse.
Glad it is sorted.

Cheers

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users