Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7106

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wmay

wmay

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hello everyone, I have a Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7106 laptop running Win7. The screen went black so I ordered a new one, installed it, now the screen is still black. It has a 17.3" screen. I was very careful to make sure the connector was tight. If I hook an outside monitor it works fine. I have looked on the Toshiba site for help, needless to say I got none. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks Winston May

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2012 - 05:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Could have been the inverter, not the screen's backlight. Did you replace that as well? Very cheap. When replacing LCDs I always get an inverter too just in case -- they're only ~$5-10 usually on eBay.

Edited by kisk, 06 May 2012 - 08:00 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

Years ago work tossed one out and I was able to take it apart and fix it. Years later the screen when black on it as well. A buddy that still worked there found an old unit with a smashed screen which I took apart and replaced the faulty part. I believe it was the inverter after taking a quick look online just now. Simple unplug, swap, plug in. Mine was located at the bottom of the screen section between the hinges.

Good luck,
Zen

#4 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Just to confirm, which type of "black" are you talking about.

1) The screen visibly lights up, but the picture (color) is black only. If this is the case, your inverter/backlight is working. Most likely the signal cable which plugs to the back of the LCD or the other end which plugs into the mobo is not fully engaged.

-or-

2) The screen shows no sign of backlighting, If this is the case you should be able to see a very faint picture. Sometimes if you shine a flashlight at an angle you can see the faint image easier. The means you need to check your inverter connections (the cable coming off the very bottom of the LCD). If connections are good then you most likely need an inverter. If you hurry, you may find that you can return that LCD. The inverter part# should be on the inverter itself. Like Zen said, the inverter will be in the screen assembly between the hinges.

Let me know :thumbup2:
Posted Image

#5 wmay

wmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try the flashlight trick and get back. BTW the screen is black as if the computer is not on. Winston

#6 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

BTW the screen is black as if the computer is not on.

Thanks for clarifying, look forward to hearing from you :thumbup2:

Edited by kisk, 07 May 2012 - 09:35 PM.

Posted Image

#7 wmay

wmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

I just checked the screen with a flashlight. I waited for the computer to boot and then unplugged the the monitor I had been using. I saw absolutely nothing but a black screen, not a hint of light or images anywhere. I forgot to add the computer is not 2 years old yet. thanks winston

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

You probably already did this but I got to ask anyway :)
Did you do the function key combo on the keyboard that switches it from laptop display to external monitor display?
On Satellites I think it is the FN key and F5 that does it. Might be wrong but you'll know it when you see it.

James

#9 wmay

wmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

I tried the Fn F5 thing, no luck. thanks winston

#10 PCCom

PCCom

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

The newer led/lcd's don't use separate inverters. Power comes direct from the motherboard.
So the possible causes:
Bad new screen (Possible but unlikely)
Bad video out on motherboard (I've seen it but unlikely)
Bad or improperly seated video cable -> I'm agreeing with Kisk. First reseat the cables(I've been positive I've had them in correctly).
While you have the bezel off and the screen off the hinge brackets test the laptop (I always make sure I see it post before I put it all back together)

Hope this helps

#11 wmay

wmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the info. That explains why I cannot find an inverter. I thought I read that somewhere but could not remember for sure. I will try your suggestions first thing in the morning and report back. Winston

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

The screen went black so I ordered a new one, installed it, now the screen is still black.

Try an external monitor also. It would have come early on before purchasing a new screen but too late for now. Make sure you have atleast one RAM of stick installed or alternately use one.

Tekken

#13 wmay

wmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Jhayz
I have been using an external monitor. thanks Winston

#14 wmay

wmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

:wub: :wub: :wub: Computer is fixed. Seems when I put the benzel back on one of the snaps had caught the wire that plugs into the monitor and had barely moved the connector. I had to use a flashlight to see it. Sorry for not double checking my work before posting. thanks to all. Winston May

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I use a good quality tape over the connector to ensure the Cable stays tight at the panel. It is not the best connector I've ever seen used, on the LED LCDs.

I wouldn't worry about it, That sort of thing happens to us all at one time or another.

Glad to hear it is all fixed now.

And thanks for reporting back the resolution to the problem. It helps others that may search for the same problem and run into this message.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users