Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on Game Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ben.evans461

ben.evans461

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi there,

I recently reinstalled my OS after contracting a nasty virus which I couldn't seem to shift.

Reinstall went smoothly, but BSODs started occurring when starting streaming video through a web browser. Reading other topics on this forum, I ran Perfmon and noticed that several hardware drivers had not reinstalled correctly. This seemed to fix the problem. However, after downloading a game via Steam (Civilization V) BSOD occurs whenever the game is opened.

I have posted the BSOD file as detailed in another post here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4318936/BSOD.txt

The current Perfmon report is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4318936/Perfmon.html

The obvious culprit would seem to memory, but running memdiag did not throw up any problems.

My system bare essentials are as follows:

Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro R3 P67
Memory: (3x4GB) CMX12GX3M3A2000C9
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OEM UNLOCK
Boot Drive (SSD): 120GB CSSD-F120GBGT-BK ForceGT
Other Hard Drives: 2 x 500GB Maxtor 7200RPM (on RAID 1)
PSU: ANTEC 500watt
Video Card: Radeon 3870

Yeah, it's a nice system when its working >:-(

I haven't included all the other things you detail in other posts relating to BSODs, as you don't always seem to need them. Would you like me to follow all the instructions detailed here? http://sysnative.com/0x1/BSODpostinstructions.html

Thanks for your time,

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

I would test your memory again using Memtest86+

Test each stick individually to rule out your ram, then we'll continue :thumbup2:

Are you overclocked at all?

EDIT: Just as a note: Your ram is not on the QVL for that motherboard. Source. Has this been an ongoing problem when gaming since you've had the machine?

Edited by kisk, 06 May 2012 - 06:22 PM.

Posted Image

#3 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Also, are you using ZoneAlarm? If so, either uninstall it and reinstall a different firewall or you could try this hotfix from MS (link is near the top, you have to provide your email and they'll email you a download link): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981180/en-us

Edited by kisk, 06 May 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Posted Image

#4 ben.evans461

ben.evans461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have used memtest, and did several passes - I wasn't sure how to test each stick individually. No errors were found though.

Yes, I did have Zonealarm installed. I tried the hotfix and it didn't work (system still crashes when starting Civ 5). I've also tried uninstalling it (no change).

No, there is no overclocking, and I've never had this problem before - this exact set of components with the same OS worked without any problems for over a year.

Ben

#5 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Yes, I did have Zonealarm installed. I tried the hotfix and it didn't work (system still crashes when starting Civ 5). I've also tried uninstalling it (no change).

You uninstalled the hotfix, or Zonealarm? You should uninstall Zonealarm.

To test each stick individually, you'll need to pull the side case off of your computer and remove all but one stick of RAM, then run Memtest86+. We need to check the slots too.

You have 3 sticks.. test the first stick in slot 1, second stick in slot 2, third stick in slot 3. If the computer will not boot after installing a stick in slot 2 or 3, simply test it in slot 1. This sounds a little tedious, but sometimes bad sticks of ram will not show up as faulty if they are paired with other sticks. By doing this we know that each stick and each slot is ok.

After this, run a few scans:

System File Check
Follow these steps:
  • Click Start.
  • Type in "cmd".
  • You will see cmd.exe show up. Right-click on the program and click "Run as Administrator".
  • In the command prompt window, type "sfc /scannow"

Let me know the result.

Check Disk
Follow these steps:
  • Click Start.
  • Type in "cmd".
  • You will see cmd.exe show up. Right-click on the program and click "Run as Administrator".
  • In the command prompt window, type "chkdsk c: /r". Note: This is assuming your system drive is C:
  • You will receive a message about doing the scan on next boot. Type "y" and <Enter>, then reboot. This scan will take some time.

After this has completed, please post a Speccy Snapshot.
Posted Image

#6 ben.evans461

ben.evans461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

HI there,

Apologies for the late reply; very busy at work this week, and I haven't had a chance to run all these tests until now!

Both Zonealarm and the hotfix were uninstalled.

I tested the RAM sticks as you described. None of them showed any errors on Memtest, either individually or when plugged in together. I let each test go for at least two passes. I realise in an earlier post that I said I had 12GB of this type of RAM; I actually have 8 (I bought 12GB initially, but there was some reason I took a stick out at the time - possibly because of similar issues, I can't remember!). In any case, I tested them as described and it showed no errors.

I did the two other tests you described.

System file check did not reveal any integrity problems.

I'm not sure what information you need from CheckDisk (or if the logfile is published anywhere), but the screen showed the following when nearing the end of its run:

==
File Verification Completed:
280 large file records processed
0 bad file record processed
2 EA records processed
44 reparse records processed
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
225180 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned
0 unindexed files recovered
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)
177408 file SDS/SIDS processed
Security descriptor verification competed.
23887 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying USN Journal...
34708280 USN Bytes processed.

USN Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (Stage 4 of 5)
177392 files processed
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)
79 percent complete (11653727 of 15427522 free ...

===

Speccy snapshot is here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3GGMkOrsFTGsuBcU7OYNoy5

Cheers,
Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users