Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best way to manage sharing on a network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mysterioustoker

Mysterioustoker

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

I am using the Homegroup feature of Windows 7 right now. I have four computers, configured with one account each, that are members of this Homegroup.

PC1, PC2, PC3, PC4

PC1 configured the Homegroup and has the only shared library that is visible on the Homegroup. PC2, PC3, and PC4 all save documents to the shared Homegroup library on PC1.
PC1 is basically acting as a file server.

I want to set it up so that only certain accounts on each of the other three (PC2, PC3, PC4) computers can see certain folders in the shared Homegroup library.

For instance, I have three folders in the shared Homegroup library located on PC1.
Folder2, Folder3, Folder4

How do I individually share those folders with only certain computers?

I have tried sharing with only "specific people" but it tells "windows was unable to find (name)". I have tried typing in the name of the computer to share with as well as account names.
I have run the Homegroup troubleshooter on all computers and I still cannot share specific folders with specific computers.

What would be the best way to share how I desire? Is there a better way than with the Homegroup or am I just doing something wrong?

PLEASE HELP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Do this on each computer ...

Create a username account ... say Dad, Mom, Brother, etc ... Give them all the same password on each machine and set the password to not expire.

Next go to Control Panel / Folder Options / View and uncheck "Use Sharing Wizard"

Now, on the main machine, or whichever, create a new folder on the C: drive. Right click and choose "Properties" then "Sharing" tab. Share the folder and add each of the user's you wish to have permissions. Also do this on the Security tab if necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users