Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop not booting and designs on screen on starting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 devicool

devicool

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi
I have Toshiba Satellite P100-429 running windows XP media centre .It stopped to boot and has black screen with various designs like spade and clover ,and the screen has many lines of various colour .I am not able to boot from safe mode as i cant access it.I tried to reformat by recovery disc but after one hour of reformatting nothing happens .Not sure whether the windows are corrupted or problem with graphics card or screen .I do not have windows recovery disc only came with product recovery disc
The picture of screenshot

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/img0227vw.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/img0226gn.jpg/

Thanks for help

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2012 - 04:22 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware, corrected typo in title - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Are you able to try it on an external monitor?
Looks as though you probably have a bad graphics card/chip. This usually means a new motherboard is needed as most laptops have integrated graphics (i believe your model does).

#3 devicool

devicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Are you able to try it on an external monitor?
Looks as though you probably have a bad graphics card/chip. This usually means a new motherboard is needed as most laptops have integrated graphics (i believe your model does).

I have not tried it on another monitor but can try not sure how to go about .If graphic card is faulty can i change

#4 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

To connect to an external monitor, connect the monitor using the VGA connector, turn on the laptop and you will probably have to "tell" the laptop its connected to another monitor. On Toshiba this is usually holding down the Fn button and pressing F5.

If you get a good image then your graphics are fine, if you get the same (or similar) output your graphics are shot.
As i said in my previous post, when integrated graphics fail, it usually means a new motherboard. Integrated graphics means, a chip soldered onto the motherboard.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

FWIW

Louis

#6 devicool

devicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

FWIW

Louis

Thanks Louis
If my screen is faulty why is my computer not booting and cant access the safe mode

#7 devicool

devicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

To connect to an external monitor, connect the monitor using the VGA connector, turn on the laptop and you will probably have to "tell" the laptop its connected to another monitor. On Toshiba this is usually holding down the Fn button and pressing F5.

If you get a good image then your graphics are fine, if you get the same (or similar) output your graphics are shot.
As i said in my previous post, when integrated graphics fail, it usually means a new motherboard. Integrated graphics means, a chip soldered onto the motherboard.

I have connected to external monitor and the picture is same hence my screen is not faulty then if my graphic card is faulty as you mentioned can it be repaired or replaced ? Does my laptop has graphics card embedded in in mother board
Thanks for advice

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

There is also a possibility that you have a bad memory.

When the video is built in then it uses system memory as video memory so bad memory can cause what you see too.

Try using only one memory and test, Swap and test.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 devicool

devicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

There is also a possibility that you have a bad memory.

When the video is built in then it uses system memory as video memory so bad memory can cause what you see too.

Try using only one memory and test, Swap and test.

Good Luck
Roger

Thanks for reply how to use only one memory to test and what do you mean by swap and test

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hi, What I mean is try only one memory and test, if still bad, swap the memories to try with the other memory and test.

If you have a bad memory removing the bad one will make the computer run slow but work.

It is also possible to have built in video and it can have its own memory which could be bad. That is what this test is to determine.

If your is the one with a replaceable video card then finding a replacement may be tough as my quick research indicates that it is one of the ones using a Nvidia video chip that had a dismal track record for longevity.

Still worth trying the memory testing just in case.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users