Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer loses internet connection

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Calebvision

Calebvision

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Last few months, way too regularly, my computer loses connection to internet. The light at back of computer which shows that it's connected, goes out, when this happens. I "move the cable" and light comes back on and I am, again, connected.

As you may be able to discern from my terminology, I'm not a "techie", but, I am a logical person.

Can anyone "shed light" on this? It seems like a "bad connetcion" ( something loose ) somewhere.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2012 - 04:28 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've also experienced the same situation before, however my cable is connected to a router. I inspected the plug/cable first to see if it isn't damaged and then plug it back to the router, showing that it lights up indicating its connected. A little nudge on the cable at the back of my computer broke off the connection since the cable had been bent too much so I gave it some slack. After a few months, I replaced the cable and the router and the problem for me went away.

In my case, it turned out to be my cable. Though it was hard to replace and check to see if it was damaged, when i replaced it I didn't loose my connection anymore.

Edited by Commander Gman, 06 May 2012 - 03:58 PM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Have you contacted your ISP?

Have you tried...disconnecting and then reconnecting properly all cables from the connection to the system?

Louis

#4 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Have you contacted your ISP?

Have you tried...disconnecting and then reconnecting properly all cables from the connection to the system?

Louis

Hi Louis! I have not contacted Comcast as I don't think that any other computers are affected ( I have a router ). I have disconneted and reconnected cables. It seems that where the cable goes into computer ( motherboard? ), there is a contact problem, of some kind. As alwways, I could be wrong, however.
Thanks for the feedback
Rui

Edited by hamluis, 28 May 2012 - 12:09 PM.
Typo - Hamluis.

#5 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Do you have another ethernet cable you could test with?

Its possible your on-board LAN is going out, in which case you'd need something like this. I would try a new cable first though.
Posted Image

#6 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Do you have another ethernet cable you could test with?

Its possible your on-board LAN is going out, in which case you'd need something like this. I would try a new cable first though.

Thanks Kisk! I wil try another cable....not sur ehow cable could get damage...seems improbable BUT, I know thatyou know better than me because,if it's not the cable, the second suggestion "has" to be it.

Doesn't seem like it's somethign which I can install! Hopefully, it comes ot that, it won't be too expensive. Are all LAN cards the same, if you will? No entire MB needed?

#7 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yes most LAN cards are the same and relatively easy to install. Just take the side cover off your computer and install the card into one of the free PCI slots on your motherboard. Install drivers that come with the card and you're good to go.
Posted Image

#8 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Yes most LAN cards are the same and relatively easy to install. Just take the side cover off your computer and install the card into one of the free PCI slots on your motherboard. Install drivers that come with the card and you're good to go.

Kisk.....now that I "have you"......as of late, when I play a youtube video, it "skips". Any thoughts?
Rui

#9 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Lately, my computer seems awfully slow ( Comcast ). It's from 2004 and has a "new" ( 2 years old ) motherboard. Does the, relatively new, motherboard, make my computer a "bit newer"? Is its lack of speed ( lots of disk space and memory )the cause of this slowness? It's Windows XP. I've also noiticed that youtube videos "skip", which had never been an issue, unti couple of months ago.

As I posted on another forum, I've, recently, been experiencing fairly regular disconnect from internet. I've replaced the cable, copule of hours ago and am keeping fingers crossed, as they say.

Mod Edit: Merged topics - Hamluis.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Rui

Edited by hamluis, 28 May 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Did you try a different network card, as previously suggested?

Louis

#11 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Did you try a different network card, as previously suggested?

Louis

Louis, I have not! I repeced the cable which, it seems, was the easier step. Did so hours ago and "all is well", SO FAR! That does not, however, meant that it won't "go South" at anytime. I imagine that, if after afew days there is not lost connection, that it was the cable.

Sound logical?

Rui

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Just trying clarify what you have posted.

So you have no Internet problem at this time?

As for slowness...take a read, Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Louis

#13 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Everyone...I replaced the cable nd all is well! Thanks so much for the helP!

Louis, I wil read the "slowness ink"! Thanks!!!

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users