Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stripped screw!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 autigerfan

autigerfan

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

My laptop is an HP DV9000. The screw that holds the wi-fi card into place has stripped and I do not know how to get it out. HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

To give morfe detail, it is the head of the screw that has been stripped. I have heard using apoxy etc. etc. this screw is holding up my laptop repair!

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

and why does it need removed? sometimes if your careful, a good pair of vise grips goes a long ways.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

I've put a tiny drop of super glue on the end of the screw driver before and it worked ... it wasn't a computer part but it worked.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Often placing a broad, flat rubber band between the screw and the screwdriver will yield good results if firm pressure and slow rotation is used. The rubber band acts to fill in the space that the screwdriver cannot grip.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Stripped-Screw

Use a screw extractor. The right tool for the job, assuming the screw head is worn but intact, is called a "screw extractor". This is essentially a screwdriver or screwdriver bit which has strong, rough metal threads right on the tip. These are intended to burrow into the metal of the screw head and get stuck there so you can put some torque on it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Stripped-Screw

There are more tips on that page. Some of them won't apply in your case.

#6 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

the size of the screw is to big small to be a size 1 screw and to big to be a size 0 screw. the screw is hl

#7 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

holding in my wi fi card. the screw is also holding in my palm rest. I need to change out the touch pad and mouse. tried the superglue but it would not stick ( I have never heard of super glue not attaching to anything.) I think the screw may be made out of aluminum.

#8 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Try epoxy. Put a small amount on the center of the screw (careful not to epoxy the screw to the card!) and place your small screwdriver on top of it, supporting it till it dries. You can get the epoxy off the screwdriver later.

I hate it when those "spacer" screws are holding on the palmrest assembly. Not a lot of models that do that.
Posted Image

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Okay, here's my crazy last ditch effort for these.

I have had similar things happen many many times. Once, nothing worked. I tried everything.
What finally worked was using my Dremmel with a small cutting wheel on it. I cut a notch across the head of the screw and used a flathead screwdriver to unscrew it. It takes a steady hand and I spent about ten minutes carefully cutting the notch while wearing a magnifying glass over my safety goggles but it came out easy afterwards and I was able to reuse it.

I can't recommend this technique because I came close to carving into the surrounding board and I was probably just lucky but man, I was at the end of my rope.

James

#10 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

the situation has been resolved! :clapping: Thanks for the ideas, they were appreciated and the ideas that ya'll gave will be some (knowing my luck) I will need in the future! thanks again!

#11 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

the situation has been resolved! :clapping: Thanks for the ideas, they were appreciated and the ideas that ya'll gave will be some (knowing my luck) I will need in the future! thanks again!

What was your solution? Being a searchable forum, users in the future may have similar issues so we always like to complete threads, even if your fix was just to manhandle it :)
Posted Image

#12 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

2 things, on the bottom of the laptop i decided to remove the hard drive and whoa, wouldn't you know - there was a hidden screw. and when we took that screw out the palmrest came off. Apparently we had gotten a few good turns of the screw so that the palm rest would come up. The screw is still stripped but it is holding the wi-fi card in place along w/ the other screw. I was going to do the Dremmel route and get the screw out but I was lucky!

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

LOL! Definitely save the Dremmel trick for when it's on the way to the trash can and you've got nothing to lose :)

James

#14 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

The screw is still stripped but it is holding the wi-fi card in place along w/ the other screw.

You got lucky! Like I said earlier, there are a few models where the spacer that the wireless card holder screws screw into also has to come out.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 DublinMeUp

DublinMeUp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Although the problem is solved I thought I'd weigh in.

I've had this exact problem with that exact laptop, the screw is so soft it'll strip even with the perfect fitting screw driver.

What I did was an old trick I learned removing stripped "star" screws (can't remember their real name) from old Nokia phones.

Take a small but sharp snips (needs to be a tougher metal than the screw) place one point of the snips into the indent for the Philips and press down hard enough, align the sharp side of the snips with the best preserved Philips point (there's four notches like a cross, best i can describe it) now squeeze the snips as hard as you can while keeping the screw between it points, push down at the same time then turn anti clockwise.

Alternatively if the Philips indent is totally gone, take the same snips and grab the outside of the screw between the two points, we are aiming to make two small groves, squeeze again hard while keeping the screw in between the points and turn anti clockwise

Hope someone finds that useful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users