Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What can a site see about me....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 norwichmuscles

norwichmuscles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

So I'm a bit paranoid bout IT security and privacy and want the maximum protection I can get.

I want to know what a website I am on can see about me, I understand along the lines of the following:-

* Cookies
* Flash Cookies
* Operation System
* Serial Number
* Age of Operating system install
* Exact Operating system
* Name you have given your computer
* Name of computer files
* Computer Serial Number
* IP address

Is all this true? How can all the above been seen without my permission? I have the Comodo firewall... Surely the only things possible would be Cookies & IP address?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Add Ghostery to your browser. It will show all items that wants to track you and then block them.

www.ghostery.com
Posted Image

#3 norwichmuscles

norwichmuscles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thanks, so can a site track along the lines of what I have mentioned above?

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Add Ghostery to your browser. It will show all items that wants to track you and then block them.

www.ghostery.com

I would disagree with that. In it's original format, it was a good add-on, but since it's now been acquired by an advertising company called Evidon which was formerly known as "The Better Advertising Project", user statistics are now sold to the advertising industry who use it to develop better ways of targeting users.

In response to the OP's question about what data is visible when the user visits a site, see: http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

To surf anonymously, install Tor: https://www.torproject.org/index.html.en However, you cannot use add-ons with its browser.

Since Google, Facebook and Twitter are informed about practically every site you visit, consider installing Disconnect Me which goes some way to protecting your privacy.

#5 Cados

Cados

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

A site can also find your locatin out from your IP and the web browser you're using. The location is never very accurate, and the browser may not be correct either, but usually is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users