Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reinstall XP Home on slow computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spgreenfield

spgreenfield

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

I tried searching and couldn't find any instructions for idiots....I know that there will be options when I insert the OS disk - and I want to be ready. I have no malware or viruses - it's healthy in that way, but it's 6 years old and I've never reinstalled the OS from day 1. Would like a little more speed if possible. Know I need a new computer but this was recommended to do in order to get it running a little better. I have so many old programs on it I would really rather not wipe it and do a 'clean' install - and see what I get. We've moved recently and I actually have no idea WHERE many of the discs even are! Plus some of the programs are so old (Like Office 2000) I'm not sure IF they'd even install!!! Any advice? It's a Dell and they sent me the disk for XP Home service pack 3 - so I won't have to sit through all the updates either. Nice huh? I am, unfortunately not a complete dunce - I started back in DOS and was able to stumble my way around in it until windows came out....so I understand a little more than the average person. Just want to make sure my thinking is correct, and it's been decades since I reinstalled an OS.....

Pam

Edited by spgreenfield, 06 May 2012 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

I tried searching and couldn't find any instructions for idiots....I know that there will be options when I insert the OS disk - and I want to be ready. I have no malware or viruses - it's healthy in that way, but it's 6 years old and I've never reinstalled the OS from day 1. Would like a little more speed if possible. Know I need a new computer but this was recommended to do in order to get it running a little better. I have so many old programs on it I would really rather not wipe it and do a 'clean' install - and see what I get. We've moved recently and I actually have no idea WHERE many of the discs even are! Plus some of the programs are so old (Like Office 2000) I'm not sure IF they'd even install!!! Any advice? It's a Dell and they sent me the disk for XP Home service pack 3 - so I won't have to sit through all the updates either. Nice huh? I am, unfortunately not a complete dunce - I started back in DOS and was able to stumble my way around in it until windows came out....so I understand a little more than the average person. Just want to make sure my thinking is correct, and it's been decades since I reinstalled an OS.....

Pam

Reinstalling the operating system won't speed it up unless you reformat first. If you reformat, you will of course wipe all your data. You can copy the programs you want to keep to an external USB drive so that you can reinstall them from there afterwards, but if you're going to reformat, then make sure you have the drivers which need to be installed immediately afterwards. This is the Dell site as to what those are and which order you need to install them in: Driver installation order

Also, even though you've been given an SP3 installation disc, you'll still have to install all the security patches which have been released since SP3. That will take you at least 12 hours because you have to reboot so often.

Last but not least, there's always the chance that you'll get a pretty blue screen during the installation process. Unless you know how to deal with those, I would think again if I was you.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

You can copy the programs you want to keep to an external USB drive so that you can reinstall them from there afterwards,

Let's clarify that statement. If you do not have the original installation discs you will not be able to reinstall the programs.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

You can copy the programs you want to keep to an external USB drive so that you can reinstall them from there afterwards,

Let's clarify that statement. If you do not have the original installation discs you will not be able to reinstall the programs.

Apologies, I should have elucidated a little.

If you've downloaded applications in the past for which you've paid money, you can copy these to an external USB drive and providing you have a valid product key, reinstall them from there. All other free programs can be copied and reinstalled ad lib.

As regards Office 2000, you will need the original installation discs to reinstall that. However, there are many free alternatives you can avail your self of such as these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_office_suites#Comparison_of_general_and_technical_information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users