Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for new anti-virus systems for my computer.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RedLegg

RedLegg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

Have been having major problems that appear to have been rooted in my anti-virus programs(SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, and Avira AntiVirus) all of which appear to have been infected. I uninstalled all three this morning, 5/6/12, and am looking for advice on what to replace them with, or if I should just reinstall them. I am running without any electronic condom right now and it has me terrified!

My regular geek is away on vacation and won't be back till end of the month, so I am going solo on this.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2012 - 10:37 AM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yikes!

I would try avast! (Free) or Microsoft Security Essentials (also free).

As for Malwarebytes - what happened to make you want to uninstall?

As for SAS, I have the fully licensed version, but really only use this as a Stand Alone scanner and only on demand, but it's been helpful.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 RedLegg

RedLegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Thanks, Winterland. I just uninstalled all 3 because I could not figure out which was the problem. While doing the uninstalls I think that superantispyware was the actual problem. Did it last and thought I lost my computer, took an hour to get it to restart after uninstalling it, the other 2 uninstalled and restarted computer with no problem. Been getting a popup for superanti for about 3 months, just kept x-ing it out. Uninstalled Avira because each time it ran the computer would shutdown for no apparent reason, had it set to run at 12:00 each night and when I got up in morning computer was off, so I ran it yesterday afternoon and it shutdown with now indication or window explaining why.

Before I put any of them back on I wanted to ask about different anti-virus and whether or not anyone knew of problems or infections in these 3.

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

I used Avira for about a year until the Ask Toolbar started getting bundled with it and then the notifications were getting to be rather pesky, so I made the switch to avast! on both my wife's laptop and my spiffy e machine and have been very happy with it.

I also tried MSE (on an older machine) just to see how it looks / acts, don't feel strongly about one way or the other, but thought it wise to explore all the options out there.

I have not heard / read about any known issues with running the three programs you initially mentioned and I also run Full Scans with Avast!, Malwarebytes and SAS each week and have never had either my desktop (with Vista) or the wife's laptop (Windows 7) power down upon completion.

Please note that these Full Scans can take hours (at least on my little crappy e-machine) so I usually start them and then head off to do some chores.

Also, and please note that I'm not trying to talk down to you (I don't know your level of experience) but when you run your scans over night - which is how I'm reading your last post - are your Power Options on your computer set to shut the computer itself off after a certain period of inactivity?

If they are, of course, this wouldn't have anything to do with the apps you are/were running, but rather with the computer itself.

Winterland

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes are NOT anti-virus programs.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

I don't understand what you mean by saying that 'all three became infected'? How exactly were you able to establish that?

#7 RedLegg

RedLegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Xircal, I uninstalled them and all of the problems I was having stopped. I believe that superanti was the actual problem child, though Avira seemed to be scetchy, too. Going to re-install Malwarebytes, leaving superanti out. Going to try Avast, which Winterland has suggested, and see how it goes.

Winterland, prior to about 9-12 days ago Avira would run scan and computer would not shutoff. I had set so that monitor goes off after 15 mins inactivity and goes to hibernate after 30 mins. And don't worry aout talking down, I am just road pizza on the information superhighway. :wink:

Queen-Evie, specific nomenclature is a bit above my paygrade, thats why I am here asking dumb questions. :unsure:

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Just a note of caution. When you install AVAST, you'll see a big blue button which says "Install Now". Before you click that, remove the checkmarks from Google Chrome immediately underneath that otherwise you'll suddenly find your browser and home page have changed.

Also, underneath that Install Now button, there's also a link to perform a custom install. That allows you to add things like other languages, or not to install all the shields which you'll get by default otherwise.

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Xircal, thanks for heads up on the Google Chrome install ~ it's been so long since I've installed Avast! I'd forgotten about it...I tend to play with browsers a lot - removing, installing - I'd forgot to caution RedLegg about it.

RedLegg, good luck with the Avast! install and remember, if there's something about it that doesn't work for you, or you don't like, etc, you can always try the aforementioned MSE (which is also free).

I simply have a preference for Avast! which seems to play nice with my Malwarebytes, but I am very aware there are a lot of good free AV (and Malware) apps out there, as I've learned from the Forums.

I'll be bumping in and out all day - trying to avoid the chores, don't you know :whistle: - so please let me know if you need anything else.

Onward,

Winterland

#10 RedLegg

RedLegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks guys. Avast installed easily and appears to be the hot ticket, though I did get chromed. I'll just delete it, I'm a Firefox kinda cat. Putting Malwarebytes back on in a bit. Since noon(est)to 17:00 laptop has not shutoff on its own at all, windows are opening promptly, and no (NOT RESPONDING) at top of page, at least so far. I think, for the moment at least, my troubles are under control!!!!

#11 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

Thanks guys. Avast installed easily and appears to be the hot ticket, though I did get chromed. I'll just delete it, I'm a Firefox kinda cat. Putting Malwarebytes back on in a bit. Since noon(est)to 17:00 laptop has not shutoff on its own at all, windows are opening promptly, and no (NOT RESPONDING) at top of page, at least so far. I think, for the moment at least, my troubles are under control!!!!

I would suggest creating a manual Restore Point so that in the event that things go pear-shaped again, you can wind back the clock to the time when everything was running OK.

#12 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

Hey RedLegg, glad to hear things are back in a working condition, hope they stay that way.

Take care and,again, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Onward,

Winterland

#13 RedLegg

RedLegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

Xircal, had to check on that and it does, also have a backup "disc" on an external hard drive, my disc drive being kaputen for quite some time. :blush: My geek walked me through that a couple of years ago and I just updated it last night.

Winterland, thanks for your help! Glad to be here and going to get my son and wife signed up, too. Always got questions about computers which leave me with a blank look, now they will have somewhere useful to go.

#14 RedLegg

RedLegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

Talked to him when he got back and he said Avast was a good choice, explained that superanti and spybot both have compatibility issues with Win XP, which I am still running, and dumping them was a good idea. Avast, CCleaner and Malwarebytes are all working well, so far. :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users