Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wont boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 spbcooperator

spbcooperator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

I was tidying up my home office and once I untangled a myriad of wires I decided to push the pc back into its home slot.

The upshot is when I turned it on again it will not boot. I judt get a reboot or select proper boot device error message.

I tried creating a boot floppy disc from my other pc (same model, bought at the same time). That doesn't work eiother.

I only have one thing that is important on the problematic pc which is the data for my payroll buries files.

So

(1) Is there a way to solve the problem?

(2) if not, how (step by step) can I attach the problematic computers HD to the good pc (slave drive)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Sounds to me like you unplugged it by accident and the mobo battery is weak or dead so the bios reset. Go into bios and make sure the hd is the first device in the boot order, save and exit. Also, replace the battery on your motherboard.

By the way, just a quick English lesson if I may :) - one of the most common mistakes is with the use of the world "myriad". When you use it, it stands alone - no article in front ("a" or "the") and no "of" after. For example, your sentence should read: "I untangled myriad wires....". We're a a full service assistance center here at Bleeping Computer :lol:

#3 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

I have tried rebooting with HD, BIOS and floppy, all give the same message.

#4 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Also I have AMIBIOS 205 V02.58, and I can get into the BIOS setup utility, but I don't know what to do with it.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Look for the boot device section in the bios and change it so the hard drive is at the top of the list. Save the change, exit, reboot.

#6 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

same problem - I pressed F8 and it only gave me Floppy and cd rim as options

#7 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Is it a SATA HD or IDE/ATA?

• Here is a picture of a SATA cable. The cable might also be a different colour such as yellow, or black.
  • Here is one of a 40-pin IDE/ATA cable.
  • Here is a picture of an hard disk power cable. These are also in white, or transparent white.
Every hard disk has either a SATA cable plus a power cable, or a 40-pin IDE/ATA plus a power cable.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

So you're saying the bios doesn't list your hard drive? Then I agree with the above post - check all connections to and from the hd.

#9 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

On the BIOS settings it say for both IDE MAster and first SATA not detected

#10 spbcooperator

spbcooperator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

problem solved, the sata cable must of got loose when I moved the PC - thanks all. I see there is a lot of fluff inside, whats the best way to clean it without damaging the PC?

#11 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Take a deep breathe and...... :hysterical:

You can buy aerosols of pressurised air at most computer stores. Otherwise, make sure you're grounded to avoid static building up and then wipe the dust off with a soft cloth.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Compressed air

#13 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •