Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Controller for Vista not working?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brandon1423

brandon1423

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi there,

I had quite a few viruses that I did get rid of but screwed up my computer, so I decided to revert my computer back to its factory settings. That went fine, but when I went to my device manager, I saw that the Ethernet Controller device is not working, and I have tried for about 18 hours total trying to fix it and nothing is working so I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the Ethernet Controller for my computer? When I try to update the driver, a pop-up comes up saying that driver is not found. Its an HP A6110n desktop computer and I use a Vista 32-bit OS. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hello Brandon and welcome to Bleeping Computer! :)

Have you tried updating your Ethernet driver from the HP CD-ROM that came with your computer system? Or do you still have the disk?

Most HP systems have all the required drivers that work well with their computer systems right on the CD that comes with the computer system.

Try updating the driver by going to control panel, looking for device manager and instructing the up-date driver search feature to search the HP CD and see if it finds a match.

Chances are your drivers were corrupted by a virus and the anit-virus program you used deleted the infected .sys files that made your hardware work correctly. (.sys files are usually in the system folder and tell your OS how to use the hardware in question and are often the victum of virus infections. They can be downloaded from unsafe driver download websites.)

Please give that a try and let us know how things have worked out for you.

Best regards....

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users