Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed attept at loading XP, laptop will not start at all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ScooterMagoo

ScooterMagoo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hello,
I have a Compaq NX6325 business laptop computer that I got from my place of employment. They were going to recycle it but I saved it from the trash. Apparently it is too old for them to reuse it, it is 5 years old as far as I can tell. It is in very good shape and shows very little wear, whoever it was issued to didn't use it very much or it was in the docking station and they used other input devices. When I recieved it, it had no hard drive. One of the IT guys provided me with the proper hard drive for the computer. Obviously, he had to wipe the hard drive and I would have to install an operating system, which is cool. I have the XP install disk. I placed it in the optical drive and proceeded to load Windows. Everything seemed to be proceeding normally. It loaded a bunch of files, it asked me to choose a partition, which there is only one ©. It then started loading Windows giving me the yellow percentage graph. I left the room for a moment and let it to do its thing and when I came back, the screen said to press any key to continue. That was the only thing on the screen at the time just "press any key to continue". When I pressed any key, it didn't respond. No matter what key I pressed, it didn't do anything. I am not sure how long the computer was sitting there, but it couln't have been more than 5 minutes. So, I restarted the computer by pressing the power button and holding it down to shut it off. When it restarted, it went through the whole loading process again but when it asked about the partition thing, it stated that there was an operating system already installed so I chose to overwrite it, which was offered as an option. It proceeded to load Windows, displaying the yellow progress graph. After it got to 100%, it did it's auto restart, but upon restart, it started the whole loading process again, just like it did in the past. So, at this point, it seems to be looping. I let it go through its thing and choose to abort installation using the options that Windows had given me. This time, before I restarted it, I removed the install disc from the optical drive. Now when I start the computer, all I get is just a blinking cursor in the upper left hand side of the screen and that is all it does. If I put the install disc in the drive, I still get the cursor only. I tried the F9 option which is offered at start up. A blue window comes on the screen offering either "optical drive" or "Hard disk (?)". Not sure about the last one, but it doesnt matter, neither one worked. It will not boot from optical drive or hard drive. I am also offered an F10 "ROM startup". When I chose that option it asks for a password. I did not assign a password and I don't know what it is. Is there a default password?

Am I dead in the water? Is there any hope, I really want to bring this thing back to life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

You're going about it the wrong way I'm afraid. Here are instructions for recovering the system, but it may not work if you're using your own copy of Windows XP. Recover Windows XP Operating System Using XP Operating System Discs (2001 to 2005)

Also, unless your own copy of Windows is a retail version, you can forget about it altogether because an OEM version is tied to the PC or laptop it was supplied with.

#3 ScooterMagoo

ScooterMagoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

So, even if the hard drive was wiped clean, I cannot use a regular xp install disk to install windows?

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

So, even if the hard drive was wiped clean, I cannot use a regular xp install disk to install windows?

There are two types of installation media. The retail version for which Microsoft will extort some $400 from you for, and an OEM version which you get 'free' with a PC or laptop.

The latter of the two can only be used to reinstall Windows on the machine the disc was supplied with. That's because it's tied to the motherboard. You can use it to install Windows on another machine, but Microsoft won't validate it when its 30 days are up and without a valid product key, you'll only be able to use Internet Explorer for one hour every day and nothing else. You can repeat that installation process every thirty days indefinitely if you wish, but you'll soon get tired of doing that I'm sure.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

<<There are two types of installation media. The retail version for which Microsoft will extort some $400 from you for, and an OEM version which you get 'free' with a PC or laptop.>>

FWIW: There are also MS OEM/System Builder versions of XP...used by individuals, shops, etc. which build their own systems.

<<...I cannot use a regular xp install disk to install windows>>

No such thing as a "regular XP install disk", since there are various origins (manufacturers, MS) and the capabilities for installing each may vary, even within the products of a given vendor. Prior to 2005 or so, Dell install CDs were basically the same as MS disks and were sold to individual users for install on any system...the disks provided since that period may require recovery partitions, may be recovery disks.

If you define the origin of this XP install disk...we can try to be more specific in answering.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users