Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offline Files Sync Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MacDiesel

MacDiesel

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

At my company I have all user's Windows 7 Pro laptops setup with offline files that sync to user's shared folders on a file server. Today I migrated our physical Windows Server 2008 R2 file server to a Hyper-V virtual Machine. I used Disk2VHD to convert the physical disk to a virtual disk. I fired up the VM and when my laptop performed a sync I lost the new files that I had created in between the Disk2VHD conversion and booting up the new VM. Does anyone have an idea of how I can prevent this from happening Monday morning when everyone comes into the office and their laptops sync and lose any files that were created or changed over the weeked? I had this happen to me once already a few months ago. At that time it was from restoring our file server from an image backup. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 magicalcow

magicalcow

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

That is working as design. I don't like to use offline file sync for this very reason. It never works well or exactly the way you want it. Try configuring slow-link. That will make it update in the backupground regularly. Not sure if that will resolve your issue, but it is worth testing. The easiest way is don't use offline files.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/netro/archive/2010/04/09/how-the-synchronization-in-windows-7-offline-files-works.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users