Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Flashplayer 11x32

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

Hello, . .

I've been informed by the photobucket page that in order to play a previous upload to their site I need to install Flash Player 11x32, but also now notice the warning , . . I believe it to be a generic warning, . .
but if you will advise me, I'd appreciate it.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Warning for what? Viewing a file? What is it exactly you are doing that causes this warning?

I'm not clear on what it is you're asking and I rather not make assumptions when it comes to interpreting warnings.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Do you mean one of these warnings?

Please note, depending on your settings, you may have to temporarily disable your antivirus software

Adobe Flash Player

or

Warning message when you upgrade Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer 7 on a Windows Vista-based computer: "This program will open outside of Protected mode"

Microsoft Article ID: 934282
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Quietman, . sorry for the delay, . .

Posted Image

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Thanks Quietman, . sorry for the delay, . .

The mssd_aih.exe file is a web installer. That means, when you run the file, it downloads the installation via the web. As regards the warning, that comes standard with Windows and is only of concern if you were to double click what you think is just a picture.

You can download the offline installer from here instead: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

That warning is not specific to Adobe...it is a generalized warning about any executable. I believe the warning is generated by your browser and related to the security zone policy of the site you download the file from. It is similar to this Open file - Security warning.

Executable (.exe) files are program files that are capable of being executed or run as soon as they are opened. Since they are easily exploited by hackers to run malicious code on a computer, your anti-virus may provide an alert. That is why Adobe recommends you may have to temporarily disable your antivirus software as it may detect the file as suspicious.

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

I suspected it was ok to run this, but really didn't want to push my luck, . .

its been so long since I have see one of those warnings, . . I was thinking a general

product such as Adobe would have a trusted product feature etc.

Thank you much as always for your assistance.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

You're welcome.

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

That warning is not specific to Adobe...it is a generalized warning about any executable. I believe the warning is generated by your browser and related to the security zone policy of the site you download the file from. It is similar to this Open file - Security warning.

Executable (.exe) files are program files that are capable of being executed or run as soon as they are opened. Since they are easily exploited by hackers to run malicious code on a computer, your anti-virus may provide an alert. That is why Adobe recommends you may have to temporarily disable your antivirus software as it may detect the file as suspicious.

Just a quick caveat to what's been mentioned above.

Provided you have "Show Hidden Files and Folders" enabled in "Folder Options" and "Hide file extensions for known file types" is not checkmarked, Windows will show file extensions.

However, rogue applications often use a simple trick to get around what is a problem for them when they feed you some malware or other, and that is to name a file with a double extension. For example, "virus.exe" could be renamed "happy.jpg.exe" to put you offguard. The operating system will only show "happy.jpg" You won't see the additional ".exe" extension.

This is why you have to be ultra careful before opening files from unknown sources. If you have any doubts, right click it and choose the scan it with your antivirus. Most antivirus applications include a scan option from the context menu (right click).

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

In addition to that, some malware may even disguise itself by adding space(s) in the file's name to hide the real extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users