Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot resize server partition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 triskaidekaphobia

triskaidekaphobia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi,

The system partition (C:) on one of our servers is very low on disk space (1 GB remaining). It's a long story but the server needs to run a program that requires at least 10 GB of free space on C for temporary files, and the temp directory cannot be changed to another drive letter. 1 GB isn't enough for a server OS drive anyway. For some reason the C partition was only set to 15 GB when the server was set up. It's running Windows Server 2003. The other partition on the disk (E) is 53 GB. I have uninstalled all the programs on C that I can, and reinstalled on the E partition, and I have moved all other files that I can to E. There is no other way to gain disk space. C is a Dynamic MBR partition.

So, I tried to reallocate free space from E to C using Easeus Server Edition, but it wouldn't let me do it, and neither would GParted. So I backed up the entire E drive and deleted the partition to leave 53 GB of unallocated space, thinking this would solve the problem. If I try to allocate some of the free space to the C partition, Easeus fails on the reboot at 1% completion with "Insufficient disk space", which is odd. If I try to do this with GParted it fails with "Parted can't resize partitions managed by Windows Dynamic Disk". If I try with diskpart.exe in Windows I get "This volume cannot be extended". If I try with the Disk Management Console I get "The selected volume is a system or boot disk or was created on a basic disk on an earlier version of Windows and cannot be extended."

Why is this so difficult - what am I doing wrong?!

Many thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

What is located on Drive C any websites with IIS?

You maybe forced with just setting up another server and then replicate the AD Data to it then promote the back up to primary DC then reinstall the now demoted DC and reinstall Windows 2003.

#3 triskaidekaphobia

triskaidekaphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hi cryptodan,

Thanks for the quick response!

There is no web server running. The main function is an employee database and server which records the hours for about 600 employees across 3 branches via remote clocking machines. I am reluctant to try and move this database as I can't afford any down time!

The server also runs a daily tape backup from about 50 PCs on the network but I changed the backup directory to the E: drive. And it is the antivirus server, which again, I am reluctant to try and move. It was also running 4 Microsoft SQL databases but I have moved all of them to E.

I will have to get our support company out to deal with it next week - to be honest we could do with a new machine, but it's just inconvenient. I thought that resizing a partition would be fairly straightforward but obviously this is not the case.

Thanks
Tom

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Resizing the partition can damage the database for which would cause undue and unscheduled downtime.

#5 triskaidekaphobia

triskaidekaphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hi guys,

Just to let you know, I used Ghost to backup the C partition, then I used Aomei Dynamic Disk Converter to convert the disk from dynamic to basic. It took about 10 seconds and was not destructive! After it was converted to a basic disk I could use Easeus to resize the partition.

Thanks for your help
Tom

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for posting your resolution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic