Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-mail Attachments Stopped Opening In Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 briguyMN

briguyMN

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

Windows 98 SE with Outlook Express. All of a sudden I get this message when I click on the paper clip and try to open an e-mail attachment: C:/WINDOWS/Tempoary Internet Files
This file does not have a program associated with it
for performing this action. Create an association in
My Computer by clicking View and Folder Options.!!!
I'm pretty sure I was foolin' around, clickin' somewhere I shouldn't have and now simple attachments from fiends (oops- I mean friends) won't open. Can anyone guess what I did and how to un-did it? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

It depends on the file extension which program will open the attachment. What are the last three letters of the attachment? It would be something like .doc or .htm.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 briguyMN

briguyMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

the only thing I can find is .eml This is what displays in the sidebar when I save the attachment and try to open it in My Documents/My Pictures etc. It still won't open no matter which program I pick. briguy

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

Follow the instructions in How to see hidden files in Windows, except all you want is:

Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users