Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU Consumption

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 the mad klingon

the mad klingon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hi Gang:

I have noticed recently that my machine is revving up something fierce with task manager performance jumping from teens to 100%. It did just now while I was typing this. I have attached a screen grab.

I like to think I perform good housecleaning and regularly scan for spyware and viruses but I draw pictures for a living and am no IT pro.

I have attached my Hijackthis log for your viewing pleasure. THANKS!

Mod Edit: Removed HJT log, see No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs should be posted in this forum. - BleepingComputer.com - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-56/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ - Hamluis.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2012 - 12:20 PM.
Removed malware log - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

A quick note that this not the place for HiJack logs.

No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs should be posted in this forum.

To see what is causing the problem bring up the Task manager, Go to the processes tab
Check "processes from all users"
Then click on the CPU heading so that the highest CPU is at the top of the list, Ignore "System Idle Process" as it is place holder for unused CPU cycles and should be around 99% with nothing happening.

Once you find the culprit for the CPU spikes post back with the name(s).

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 the mad klingon

the mad klingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

HI Gang:

I have attached a screen grab of my Task Manager for your review. Looks like wmiprvse is sucking up 50% - I don't know how significant that is but half of anything is a lot. I also noticed Verizon gets up to around 15%.

I should also mention that since my original post my machine has been behaving better; perhaps it knows I'm onto it!

Attached Files

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hi, From Here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/wmiprvseexe-using-excessive-cpu/14f4b264-32cf-422a-9e10-b17e726ac10c?auth=1

When updates fail the system is likely to be trying to rectify the problem. If the system is set to automatically update without confirmation from you, you could be unaware of what is happening. Change the setting for Updates to "Check for Updates and let me choose whether to download and install".

The above Quote seems like it could help pin down the problem so give it a whirl.

Two common causes of this behaviors are:

1. Malfunctioning Windows Update Service.

2. Malware infestation.

Select, Start, All Programs, Windows Update. Look in History to check that Updates are being successfully installed. There were a number distributed recently. If you have any failures which have not subsequently installed tell us the Update and the Failure code. Another test is to turn off Automatic Windows Update by selecting in Windows Update Settings, Important, Never check for Updates. Restart the computer and check whether the CPU activity has stopped. That would be another indicator that the problems relates to Windows Update. Don't forget to turn Windows Update back to it's original setting as turning it off is not a good solution.

A good way to check for Malware activity is to find out the file path leading to the version of wmiprvse.exe generating the CPU activity.The file path should be c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe. If it is different then it is almost certainly malware. Please not the solution is not to delete the file. Please tell us what you find out.

I suspect you have found out about the CPU activity by seeing it reported in Task Manager. A better tool than Task Manager for investigating CPU activity is Process Explorer. This is freeware coming from Systernals, now part of Microsoft.

For further information about Process Explorer see here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx

The corrrected link for Process Explorer is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 use it to make sure where wmiprvse.exe is running from.

First thing to do is manually run Windows update. One easy way is click start, programs and it should be there. It should also be under the tools menu of Internet Explorer. There are a couple of things Automatic update doesn't update.

If no joy as a temporary fix you could try open task manager and on wmiprvse.exe and right click on it and choose priority and set it to low. That may help a little bit.

I await your feedback
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 May 2012 - 10:48 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 the mad klingon

the mad klingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

No joy.

All updates had succeeded.

I manually ran updates but nothing critical.

The path was correct.

And when I attempt to change the priority to low, I am told Access is denied.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hi, It's good that it is running from the proper location as elsewhere would have indicated a Malware problem.

Also did you through the entire post I linked?

By closing items one at a time in my system tray (lower right on the monitor) I found that one icon was to blame. The CPU measure went to 00 for Wmiprvse.exe in WTM when I closed this item.

What You could try if that doesn't do it is Press the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run box
Type Msconfig

For a quick test go to the services tab and check the box marked
Hide all Microsoft services
Then uncheck everything except your antivirus.
Then go to the Startup Tab
Uncheck everything except Antivirus

One other possibility is you may have to check something if you use wireless for Internet such as one of the cards that gets internet through the cellular network.

Restart and test. If it stays OK, then go back and put several things at a time back by checking them in MSconfig. Keep track so that if the problem comes back you can zero in on the offending item.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 May 2012 - 10:16 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 the mad klingon

the mad klingon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi There:

I'm going through the Service and Startup tabs now.

I do have a wireless router but no laptop at the moment and my desktop is hard wired.

I did just add wireless steaming with Netflix - but the crazy wmipvse has been acting up for months prior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users