Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled Adaptor "device" And Now Computer Is Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dustindmnd2

dustindmnd2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hi guys,
I was tinkering with my fiance's computer, and now when I click the computer on, it starts to load windowsxp, and I can see that graphic, then the screen is completely black, with nothing on it at all and stays that way. I know exactly what I did, but don't even know how to get a screen back on so I can reverse it!

Here is what I did if you can help:

Went to control panel

- then display

- then settings

- clicked advanced

- went to adaptor

- under adaptor type, clicked proporties

- and under device usage, I clicked "do not use this device (disable)"

- it prompted me to restart the computer, and when I did, I realized this was a bad idea!!

Anyone think they can help???

Thanks!
DD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

Try booting up in Safe Mode. I can't guarantee that this will work, but it's a place to start. If you can boot into Safe Mode you might be able to reverse the changes you made. You can just right-click on the desktop, then choose "Properties" from the list and you'll have your settings dialog.

I can't guarantee that this will work, since it's apparently the video card that you disabled.

#3 dustindmnd2

dustindmnd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for responding! How do I boot up in safe mode? I'm not sure how to do this.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:28 PM

Just mash the F8 key at the first sign that Windows is begining to load. It'll present you with a black and while menu with several choices - just pick the one for plain ol' Safe Mode - then re-enable the video.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dustindmnd2

dustindmnd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

thanks for the suggestion, john! unfortunately, when i tried to put it in safe mode, it basically filled the screen with a long list of computer commands that i couldn't scroll through or do anything with. any idea how i get past that, or other suggestions?

thanks again

Just mash the F8 key at the first sign that Windows is begining to load. It'll present you with a black and while menu with several choices - just pick the one for plain ol' Safe Mode - then re-enable the video.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:26 PM

Those "commands" are just the Windows system loading. If it does that but never gets to Safe Mode, then you can't boot up that way, either.

At this point, I'm wondering if the only options are to

a) replace the video card with another, if possible or,
b)re-install XP using the repair install option.

If you have a removeable video card, such as an AGP card, you might be able to replace it with another, restart Windows and then make sure the first device is removed from the Device Manager, then shut down and switch the video cards back. You would need the install disk or drivers for the old card to re-install if XP doesn't support it.

If you have an onboard video, you could disable that, either in BIOS or on the motherboard, and put in a separate card. With some motherboards, adding a new card will automatically disable the onboard video.

But since you disabled the device, you have to somehow change the device to get the computer to recognize something different that isn't disabled.

A repair install would replace windows files, but would then require to be updated again and many programs, printers, and so on would need to be reinstalled.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:35 PM

Would the Ultimate Boot CD or BartPE work? I have never used it to repair a device before but it may work. I cannot test it right now because I am at work, but it's worth a try before a repair install.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 dustindmnd2

dustindmnd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

thanks... would there be any risk of loosing the data on the computer using this?

is there a way to just turn back time in the computer a day or two with the screen being black?

Would the Ultimate Boot CD or BartPE work? I have never used it to repair a device before but it may work. I cannot test it right now because I am at work, but it's worth a try before a repair install.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

thanks... would there be any risk of loosing the data on the computer using this?

is there a way to just turn back time in the computer a day or two with the screen being black?

Hopefully that is what you will be able to do. You should have access to the device manager with either one of this utilities.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:49 PM

I don't think the UBCD or Bart PE would work. It can be used to copy files from the computer, but there's no way to change Windows settings that I know of. Windows has to be running to see the Device Manager.

Another possibility is that you can restart your computer using the F8 key to get to the boot menu, then try choosing "Last known good configuration."

#11 dustindmnd2

dustindmnd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:27 PM

thanks... tried both, but still no luck unfortunately.

I don't think the UBCD or Bart PE would work. It can be used to copy files from the computer, but there's no way to change Windows settings that I know of. Windows has to be running to see the Device Manager.

Another possibility is that you can restart your computer using the F8 key to get to the boot menu, then try choosing "Last known good configuration."

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

If it is not a video card (graphics adapter) incorporated on the motherboard but seperate, and in a PCI not AGP slot, you can try physically removing the card, rebooting, shutting down, then installing it in a different PCI slot.

Hopefully Windows should then find new equipment and install it.

If you reload Windows you will loose data if its on the same drive or partition, so this is worth a try.

Using a Linux op sys that runs from a cd or ram may also let you get to where you can enable the graphics adapter again.

Does your GF still talk to you?

#13 dustindmnd2

dustindmnd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:30 PM

hey man,
thanks for the suggestion... didn't work though.

yea, she is still talking to me, but she isn't happy!

If it is not a video card (graphics adapter) incorporated on the motherboard but seperate, and in a PCI not AGP slot, you can try physically removing the card, rebooting, shutting down, then installing it in a different PCI slot.

Hopefully Windows should then find new equipment and install it.

If you reload Windows you will loose data if its on the same drive or partition, so this is worth a try.

Using a Linux op sys that runs from a cd or ram may also let you get to where you can enable the graphics adapter again.

Does your GF still talk to you?

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:39 AM

Do you have the cd that came with the graphics card. Seperate graphics cards have control programs that come on an installation cd.

If it is a seperate graphics card that may work.

Also try enabling the onboard graphics in the bios - it had to be disabled when the addon graphics card was installed.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 February 2006 - 10:40 AM.

#15 dustindmnd2

dustindmnd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:29 PM

I am not sure how to enable to onboard graphics in the bios... How do I do that?

Thanks, man.

Do you have the cd that came with the graphics card. Seperate graphics cards have control programs that come on an installation cd.

If it is a seperate graphics card that may work.

Also try enabling the onboard graphics in the bios - it had to be disabled when the addon graphics card was installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users