Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid 1 Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ccmail

ccmail

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with a system I built a few years ago.

I wouldn't post, and I eventually traced this fault down to a problem with the BIOS, losing its settings, and the default settings not being compatible with the DDR2 memory I had fitted.

I can now get the system to post but the system won't boot.

I have 2 Samgsung 500gb in a raid 1.

I reconfigured the BIOS for the raid, when I boot I can get the Intel Storage Manager option, ICH9R.

It shows the raid volume status as degraded, but bootable yes.

It shows the physical drive status in the raid 1, its shows one disk with the status Member Disc, and the other disk as Error Occured.

If I try yo boot I get the message: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected device and press a key.

I can boot from the windows vista DVD and, when I try to the system recovery option it can't find the hard drive that it's installed on.

If I click on the load drivers tab it can see the c drive with the vista installation ?

Any help on what I need to do to get tit to boot and see the raid.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Do your RAID settings have an option for splitting the mirror or making one drive in the array inactive? If you can figure out how to make the bad drive inactive then you should be able to boot.

This is what RAID 1 is built to do. It is the procedure for replacing a bad drive in the array without losing data.

Sometimes with RAID 1 you can do the following.

Just pull the bad drive and it will boot up.

or

Pull both drives and plug the good drive into a non-RAID port.

Let us know if any of this helps or you have more questions.

James

#3 ccmail

ccmail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I get the option to press ctr + I when booting up to bring up the Intel matrix storage manager.

If I try to rebuild the raid it says not enough space.

I have the option to remove one of the disks from the raid, but it warns me that all data on the disk will be lost.

I've plugged one disk in and set the bios to IDE but it still says no boot media.

If I plug the drive into an external docking station I can see all the windows files, so I know that the data is on the disk, I just don't know why it won't boot.

Thanks

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hi

Unfortunately, I don't have any computers with Intel matrix storage manager on my bench right now and I don't want to advise you to do anything out of the ordinary in a situation like this without trying it myself first. I'm a little confused that it says removing a drive from a RAID 1 array would cause data loss.

If you can find the procedure for replacing a bad drive in a RAID 1 array, that should help you find how to operate with just the one good drive. If not, you may have to buy a new drive and replace the bad one and ask it to rebuild.

Hopefully someone else will see this thread and have an answer for you.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users