Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Not Charging. New Battery

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tawcoma26

tawcoma26

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Hey everyone, heres a heads up of whats going on...

I just recently got a new battery for my laptop (Acer 4730z) and the thing still isnt charging. I was getting tired of the laptop shutting off when the plug would disconnect. And Im afraid that if it sits and drains this new battery it will happen all over again.

I've googled and searched to see what kind of fixes or remedies I could do and still nothing. When plugged, It says it is charging, but obviously it isnt. I'm starting to think that my old battery didnt have any problems. As for my charger, it too is new. I also tried multiple ones with matching pins and output. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks guys

Edited by tawcoma26, 05 May 2012 - 02:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tawcoma26

tawcoma26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Just a quick update, I put in the old battery and it said "plugged but not charging" when I updated its driver from the device manager and went back to "no battery is detected" after a couple minutes.

#3 larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Someone at NotebookReview.com may know.

Is your replacement battery a quality one, or is it Ebay-type junk that doesn't have a real temperature sensor inside? Chargers use the temperature to help sense full charge, but some replacement batteries have only a fake sensor that can prevent charging from happening because the computer thinks the battery is too warm. Sometimes you can get around this by removing and reinstalling the battery.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Tawcoma, what kind of charger do you have? What are the Specs, namely the Watts and the Voltage? I have the same laptop and mine has been going through fits for 2-3 years over this, I found that the stock 90W power pack was not enough to constantly power the unit, I ended up using a 120W I had floating around at the time, after I had to give that one back I bought a Targus Charger which will charge the Laptop but you have to monitor it otherwise the battery overheats and shuts the whole works down. Double check that your charger and battery match the Laptop and post the Specs and info for both please.

Posted Image

#5 tawcoma26

tawcoma26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Is your replacement battery a quality one, or is it Ebay-type junk that doesn't have a real temperature sensor inside? Chargers use the temperature to help sense full charge, but some replacement batteries have only a fake sensor that can prevent charging from happening because the computer thinks the battery is too warm. Sometimes you can get around this by removing and reinstalling the battery.

Its a Amazon replacement battery. Ill definitely check out that notebookreview site. I removed the battery multiple times and still nothing. Still says its charging which of course it isnt.

Tawcoma, what kind of charger do you have? What are the Specs, namely the Watts and the Voltage? I have the same laptop and mine has been going through fits for 2-3 years over this, I found that the stock 90W power pack was not enough to constantly power the unit, I ended up using a 120W I had floating around at the time, after I had to give that one back I bought a Targus Charger which will charge the Laptop but you have to monitor it otherwise the battery overheats and shuts the whole works down. Double check that your charger and battery match the Laptop and post the Specs and info for both please.

19 volts 3.42 amps. Im guessing watts is about 65? My charger isnt the original but they both make the same power. When i say both, I mean the original and the replacement.

Thanks for the responses guys.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Its a Amazon replacement battery. Ill definitely check out that notebookreview site. I removed the battery multiple times and still nothing. Still says its charging which of course it isn't.

I'd contact the battery seller and see what they say.

19 volts 3.42 amps. I'm guessing watts is about 65? My charger isn't the original but they both make the same power. When i say both, I mean the original and the replacement.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Is that a real Acer power supply?
Yup that is 65 Watts. Watts = voltage times current, in this case 64.98 watts
There are several possibilities
1. replacement Battery is not working or not compatible.
2. Charger (Not likely in this case) I have seen non Dell adapters keep the Dell Laptop from charging however.
3. Charging circuitry on the mainboard.

Edited by rotor123, 07 May 2012 - 12:22 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 tawcoma26

tawcoma26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'd contact the battery seller and see what they say.

Ive done so and they tried walking me through a few things. Trying to see if it was the charger, the battery, the m.board...etc. Looks like the final option is sending it back in and just living my life with a plugged in laptop hahaha.

Is that a real Acer power supply?
Yup that is 65 Watts. Watts = voltage times current, in this case 64.98 watts
There are several possibilities
1. replacement Battery is not working or not compatible.
2. Charger (Not likely in this case) I have seen non Dell adapters keep the Dell Laptop from charging however.
3. Charging circuitry on the mainboard.

When you say power supply, do you mean the charger itself? I too think the battery isnt compatible. I doubt its the charger since I've tried different ones. Unless I have to use one with higher output.

The circuit board was one of the things the seller discussed. I did their little "test" and it seems to be ok.

Any other test or options I should be looking into.

Thanks again for the replies.

#8 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:15 AM

Is it possible that in any point in time have you possibly used a power supply that did not have the correct voltage? Have you had any storms/power outages/spikes that you know of?

Usually a battery not charging is caused by a damaged MOSFET on the motherboard. Have you ever taken a laptop apart? :P
Posted Image

#9 tawcoma26

tawcoma26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Is it possible that in any point in time have you possibly used a power supply that did not have the correct voltage? Have you had any storms/power outages/spikes that you know of?

Usually a battery not charging is caused by a damaged MOSFET on the motherboard. Have you ever taken a laptop apart? :P

No, never any outages or such. I've possibly plugged in with a different power source.

I've unfortunately never got the chance to take apart my laptop. Why? Im not mechanically inclined so if I need to take it apart, I can put it back together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users