Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

files missing unhide.exe didn't help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 anticon

anticon

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

Hi sorry if this is in the wrong part..

first of all thanks for taking the time to look into my problem.

About yesterday ALL my files disappeared.. I looked around online and found lots of similar cases.

Acer laptop running Win7 64bit

So I was followed the instructions on majorgeeks which ran something like this

run rkill

run defoggger

run superantispyware

run malwarebytes anti malware

so i did all of the above including updates and restarts the found a few problems which i repaired , deleted

I then downloaded and ran unhide.exe

which completed but I still cant see any of my files!

have I done something wrong?

Thanks again for any help you can give me!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

So I was followed the instructions on majorgeeks which ran something like this

If you have, or recently have had, a malware removal topic at majorgeeks, please return there and inform your helpers of your problems -

We do not wish to double post on any malware topic, as the information here may not match their normal system -

Thank You -

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:35 AM

However, if you were simply reading some general instructions in a topic, we can assist you here.

Someone should be along fairly soon to assist you. If not, please post your topic link in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic400074.html

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 anticon

anticon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

I only read one of the general help pages I didn't seek any assistance. This is the first place I've come for help.

Thanks

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

I would add DO NOT run a Temp file or Registry cleaner now

See how it is after this.

Windows 7 64-bit US English
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/win7-x64-sm-reset.exe
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Are you sure if you're files are hidden?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

Follow this method and let us know if you can see your files.

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 05 May 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#7 anticon

anticon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

Yes they are hidden and I have tried multiple times clicking on "show hidden files"

I ran the http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/win7-x64-sm-reset.exe but to no avail

the start menu is fine it looks completely normal and works, its when I go into my computer folder view that I cant see anything!

thanks

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

Yes they are hidden and I have tried multiple times clicking on "show hidden files"

Eventhough they are hidden can you see them? if you cannot see them after clicking on show hidden files then UNHIDE wont help.Try this

Click on startmenu and type

cmd

right click and select run as administrator,now run this command

attrib -h c:\*.* /s /d

Allow the scan to run

good luck

#9 anticon

anticon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

It didn't seem to do anything. I ran it as administrator but it said access is denied for everything!?

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

You will receive access denied errors you can ignore them.

Eventhough they are hidden can you see them? When you select show hidden files option can you see the files atleast in hidden mode ?

About yesterday ALL my files disappeared.. I looked around online and found lots of similar cases.

Explain us more to help you.

Edited by narenxp, 06 May 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#11 anticon

anticon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

so if I open my computer I can see my hard drive which is partitioned into 3 parts C/D/E and it shows How much space is used/left but when I click on C: even though there is 80+gigs on there the only thing i can see is 6 files a .sis .ini .log and .txt.. However if i click on the side panel and expand C; I can see all the folders but if i click on them again they open empty..

But heres the strange part. ok so the above is the same for all C/D/E but if I open my downloads folder i can see all my files! if I open my music/video or pictures folders all my files are there I can see them and they work! My start menu is fine and works.

Nothing happens if I click on show hidden files..

thanks

#12 anticon

anticon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

any more ideas of how to make it possible for me to see my folders and files? thanks

also just noticed that there is a removable disk I:\ icon in my computer but I have no usb stick plugged in!?

sorry just realized that happens only when i click on show hidden files..

I think it seems just actual folders are invisible! as I can see the files if I navigate using the folders in the left pane !?!?!?

Edited by anticon, 08 May 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#13 anticon

anticon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

.. Also found that if I open C:\ in the left hand pane, it lists all my folders but none are in the right hand pane.
If i right click AVG (just the first folder) goto properties and click hidden and the click apply very briefly the folder will appear in the right hand pane!! just for one second and the folder is semi transparent.. but then its gone.

however it does not reappear then disappear when I try the same in reverse.. ???????? :angry:

#14 anticon

anticon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Any advice? or Any questions? I'm really stuck on what to do!

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

You may have to manually restore them..

Scroll down to Method 3
see... manually recreate "All Programs" entries, following these steps...

http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/46010-how-to-restore-start-menu-and-files-hiddendeleted-by-a-virus/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users