Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good MSDOS programming tutorials?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Hello guys!

As a proud geeky teenager, I am actually really interested at expanding my knowledge into the informatic world.
So today, I would like to ask you where I could fine some great MSDOS programming tutorial over the internet... It can either be a website, a video, a PDF file or anything involving some nice explanations :)

Thank you very much! :D

Alpha8768 out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Why on earth would you want to write software for an operating system that has been obsolete for over 10 years?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Why on earth would you want to write software for an operating system that has been obsolete for over 10 years?

Billy3

Have you ever heard of Command Prompt bro?..

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

There is a world of difference between Windows NT's command processor and MS-DOS. Are you trying to write an NT batch file?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

There is a world of difference between Windows NT's command processor and MS-DOS. Are you trying to write an NT batch file?

Billy3

We can say so.

Edited by groovicus, 04 May 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hi Alpha8768

Most of the time when I help teenagers get into programming I find that javascript is a great place to start.

It is very forgiving
You do not need to compile it
You already have everything you need to play with it (a browser and a text editor).
There is a tremendous amount of resources and tutorials for free on the internet
You get instant gratification
You get familiar with concepts that carry over to more advanced languages

There are several ways to run javascript code locally on your machine but setting up a server that you can access by going to http://localhost in your browser is a great learning experience by itself. I recommend XAMPP for beginners using a Windows system...
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
It contains a ton of great stuff and is very easy to set up and slowly learn everything that is there.

HTML5 Canvas is a great place to start. I have published many canvas tutorials alone and with other developers and they are very popular.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Canvas_tutorial

There are lots of other things to play with in the javascript world. You'll never run out of ideas.

And the extra bonus is that you'll be learning current technologies that will help you as your skills grow to maybe do this stuff for a living one day :)

Maybe you have other reasons for using DOS but if you are looking to learn about programming and web and mobile apps then this would be a great start.

James

#7 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hi Alpha8768

Most of the time when I help teenagers get into programming I find that javascript is a great place to start.

It is very forgiving
You do not need to compile it
You already have everything you need to play with it (a browser and a text editor).
There is a tremendous amount of resources and tutorials for free on the internet
You get instant gratification
You get familiar with concepts that carry over to more advanced languages

There are several ways to run javascript code locally on your machine but setting up a server that you can access by going to http://localhost in your browser is a great learning experience by itself. I recommend XAMPP for beginners using a Windows system...
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
It contains a ton of great stuff and is very easy to set up and slowly learn everything that is there.

HTML5 Canvas is a great place to start. I have published many canvas tutorials alone and with other developers and they are very popular.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Canvas_tutorial

There are lots of other things to play with in the javascript world. You'll never run out of ideas.

And the extra bonus is that you'll be learning current technologies that will help you as your skills grow to maybe do this stuff for a living one day :)

Maybe you have other reasons for using DOS but if you are looking to learn about programming and web and mobile apps then this would be a great start.

James

Thumbs up for you :] Complete, fast and positive reply. Thanks a lot for your time, I'll take a look at these pretty links!

Edited by alpha4345, 04 May 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

First language that I started learning and am still learning is java. To me it's quite easy to understand. There are a lot of great videos out there for java beginners. I'm assuming you still go to school right? If so does your school offer any type of programming class such as mine?
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

First language that I started learning and am still learning is java. To me it's quite easy to understand. There are a lot of great videos out there for java beginners. I'm assuming you still go to school right? If so does your school offer any type of programming class such as mine?

Yes but only for people who did not take enriched sciences/maths... And I am actually in enriched sciences/maths :|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users