Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Cleanup! Wishing I Hadn't

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alburnus

alburnus

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:13 PM

An hour ago I ran CleanUp! and rebooted. While certain Windows issues I had been experiencing seem to have been resolved, I immediately noticed that new and slightly more crippling issues took their places.

In an attempt to resolve this, I inserted my Windows XP Home XP2 Operating System CD that came with my laptop. This is the message I immediately received when I tried to proceed:

(Windows Setup)
"The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because setup was unable to load the file D:\i386\WINNTUPG\NETUPGRD.DLL The system cannot find the file specified."

I don't know if this missing (?) file is the same file responsible for my invisible (?) icons and other necessary images required for navigating my system. I can't assume anything, because I don't have sufficient knowledge to safely assume anything. I barely have enough computer savvy to make educated guesses, but I don't suppose this is news to you folks by now. I can only hope that I am at least a source of amusement to some.

Anyway...after I had been given this message, I was allowed to choose to just do a completely new install (I don't remember the exact wording and I forgot to write it down - sorry). As I have backups of all my important data, and have a recovery disk and so on, I decided to "go for it." I was then prompted to enter a 25 digit number ( I think it was 25 digits) which I was told was on my certificate of authenticity, which I cannot find in my very organized but apparently incomplete "laptop file." By the way, nothing I have is pirated - everything is puchased.

It may be relevant for you to know that after the CleanUp! completed its download and run, I was given a message informing me that some files that were apparently "cleaned" (again, I can't remember the exact wording, but I am hoping this is a familiar enough scenario to you) in such a way that my computer was asking for a disk, but since this seemed to be related to recurring issues I have been having for weeks now with other similar Windows messages, I made the choice to override that, because I thought that doing what I was being asked to do would "undo" the CleanUp!. (I am so glad I at least cannot hear you all laughing.)

How should I proceed from here? Please advise! Thank you kindly!

Deb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 alburnus

alburnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

I just noticed an error in the third line of my posting - it should be SP2, rather than XP2.

Deb

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

Check the bottom of your laptop for the Microsoft sticker with the 25-number Windows key. Usually, when installing an operating system, the sticker is placed on the bottom of laptops, or the back or side of desktops.

There's a chance that something that was cleaned was a system file that had been replaced by malware, in which case, you would have to replace the original system file. This can be done by putting the XP disk in the drive and then going to Start -> Run and type in
cmd

Then, in the black box that appears (DOS emulator), type

sfc /scannow

Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.

Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place and original.

#4 alburnus

alburnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

Herk,

Thank you - I did as you suggested. The problems I was having remain, and in addition to that, my computer seems to have slowed down. It took about an hour for Windows to check the files - and maybe that was normal, I don't know, but then when I went to reboot, my computer hung for several minutes beore I finally just shut it off by holding in the power button.

When I restarted my computer, everything was just as it was before I did all that, only, as I have said, it seems to be considerably slower now, in all its executions.

What should I try next?

Thank you -

Deb

#5 alburnus

alburnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

Here is an update - In spite of the screwed up environment, I finally managed to do a system restore so my computer is running more normally now. So my question is, how do I run CleanUp! without messing things up again, or should I find some other way to clean things up? Maybe someone can explain to me how I messed up my computer by running CleanUp! so I can avoid future complications?

Would anyone also like to share with me his or her opinions about those registry fixing services I see? They offer free scans to see how many problems are on your computer (which seem to often be in the hundreds, judging from the testimonials), but the "fixes" are pretty expensive. Are these legitimate?

Thank you!

Deb

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:48 PM

Obviously, CleanUp! isn't working well for you.

I usually clean things manually, by running Disk Cleanup and deleting temp files. Sometimes, when I really need to remove junk, I'll use CCleaner. But any program that cleans is potentially harmful. Go to My Computer, right-click on the C: drive, choose Properties. You'll see a Disk Cleanup button. Let it scan and then choose to remove temp files, temporary internet files, offline web pages, recycle bin, etc. Do not check the compress files option. Also, make sure to run a defrag once a month or so.

Go to Start -> Run, type in

%temp%

and hit Enter. This will open your temp files folder. Go to the Tools tab, choose Folder Options. Scroll down to the Show hidden files and folders and check it. Also uncheck Hide protected operating system files. It will ask if you are sure. Then go to the Edit tab and choose Select All and press your delete key. Again, it will verify that you want to delete files. There are often some files that cannot be deleted. If the deletion stops, hold down your control key and uncheck the file that will not delete, and proceed to delete the others until only the non-deletable files are gone. Those files are in use, which is why they cannot be deleted. Usually, there will only be a few left.

I don't think I'd mess with any of those registry fixing services, though I have had good luck with earlier versions of Norton Systemworks' Win Doctor. I try to stay away from programs that cost money because they're often not safe or effective, like the many bogus antispy tools advertised on the internet. Why do they all claim to be #1?

When I use CCleaner, I only use the registry cleaning if I'm being brave. It's far too easy to delete something from the registry that's necessary.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

Before running any registry cleaner/modifier you should Export a copy of your registry to a disk. I backup my registry one a week to a CD as part of my disk maintance. Hopefully in the worst case you can double click and be back where you started.
Possibly over kill, but only if you never need it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 alburnus

alburnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

Thanks, very much - I've been running defrag and deleting temp files all along, but was under the impression that my clean up efforts were not enough - both because I had been reading about registry files being so easily and frequently messed up, and because regardless of rigorous cleaning on my part, over time, I was still experiencing compromised computer function. Since reading your helpful responses I have realized I need to learn more about registry files. I have read many of your tutorials, but right now I don't remember seeing anything about registry files, though I will go back and look again. Perhaps you can steer me in the right direction, if you have such a thing. I have been trying to educate myself about computers enough that I can understand things better, but I don't have the passion (or lifestyle) to adopt a life that revolves entirely around my computers. I have purchased and read (mostly)a couple of PC books, but it's difficult to find a really helpful book that is not either too elementary, or too complicated for someone like me - with only basic knowledge - to follow coherently.

In your tutorials I saw something about a "tweaking" manual - that seemed to be a great help for those with Windows XP, only, at the time, I was having so much trouble with my computer that Adobe would not even launch, and the manual would not load, so I'll have another go at that now that my computer is at least more functional.

Maybe you can start me off by informing me where I will find my registry files. I can probably figure out how to export it to a CD once I find it, unless you believe it would too complicated, in which case I would welcome some direction.

Thanks again, very much!

Deb

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:58 AM

How have you been deleting temp files and what temp files have you been deleting?

#10 alburnus

alburnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

From my System Tools I go to Disk Cleanup. In Disk Cleanup I have all the boxes checked except "Compress Old files." (So obviously, this includes the temp files box being checked )

Then I click on "View files," to have a look, but I don't recall ever seeing anything there I opted not to clean out.

I select and delete all of these "Downloaded Progam Files."

I usually wait a few days before clearing out the Recycle Bin, just in case.

Deb

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:24 PM

I have realized I need to learn more about registry files.

Tutorial: Working with Windows Registry
Safekeeping the Windows XP Registry
BACKUP, EDIT & RESTORE REGISTRY
BACKUP, EDIT & RESTORE REGISTRY by Microsoft

Using and Understanding CCleaner Tutorial
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users