Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to Gain Free Space

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

My hard-drive has only 1gb of free space available. I have used Ccleaner and removed all programs that I had no use of. I transferred all pictures and other files that I could find.

Is there anything else I can do to gain more space? I have heard of removing hotfix uninstallers. Is that safe to do?
Malware shall not pass!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

1) Empty the recycle bin

2) Delete all files in the temp folder

3) Reduce space allotted to the Temporary Internet Files Folder (and empty the folder)

4) Use Disc Cleanup - and delete all but the most recent restore point (this alone should gain a huge amount of space)

5) Reduce the space allotted to system restore (or disable system restore completely and start using disc imaging software).

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Also take a look at this program.
http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview//

#4 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

Also, PureRa should get you around another gb or two.

How big is your current hd?
Posted Image

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

If you haven't looked yet:
SequoiaView allows you to see (with a novel graphical display) which files are the largest. Of course, that doesn't mean you can or should delete those files, but at least you'll know which are taking up the most space! The website you are led to for downloading also adds this:

There are a few known problems: if the file size is large enough, you get a number overflow (SequoiaView will show a different number than the actual size is). An other problem is handling junctions.

PureRa has no offline help (you have to go to their website) and it doesn't make a log of what it deletes, according to the CNet article linked to. However, the article doesn't say whether it has any potentially troublesome or dangerous options (which Ccleaner certainly does).

Edited by RevGAM, 04 May 2012 - 10:42 PM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#6 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

The hard-drive has 2 parts: a C drive and a D drive. The c drive has 1gb available out of about 16gb. I cleaned all the system restore points and still have only 1gb.

@Allen: I have done all the instructions you provided prior to my posting of this topic.

Edited by Pizza and Pepsi, 04 May 2012 - 11:25 PM.

Malware shall not pass!

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Did you already do everything Allan wrote (just in case CCleaner missed something)?

You MIGHT consider defragmenting the drive, although unless it is highly fragmented, the space you'll gain will probably not be significant.

If you have programs that you don't use at least monthly, consider uninstalling them.

Another alternative: see if any of the programs you use (but don't need to have running constantly and don't use regularly) have a portable version. Install all the portable versions on a CD or DVD (or a flashdisk that isn't going to be used on other computers to avoid the risks of malware jumping onboard) and run them from there. Obviously, this isn't going to be a good idea for some portable programs to be on a CD/DVD.

Get everything in My Documents onto something external, too, if you haven't already done that.

I don't know if you're on a laptop or desktop and whether there's an empty drive bay. Prices are pretty reasonable, especially if you buy a 3.5" version (prices are almost double for 2.5" drives).
  • If you've got an extra bay and money, consider buying an additional internal HDD.*
  • If you've got no bays, buy an external/portable* HDD.

*Not all HDDs are portable or ideal for portable computers.
Laptop-compatible internal HDDs are the same as portable external HDDs, but they fit inside your portable computer's drive bay instead of being external.
External HDDs - although they LOOK portable - shouldn't be moved around when they're plugged in and shouldn't be used in a place with lots of bumps and vibrations (like a vehicle).
For peace of mind, portable external HDDs can be moved around (*carefully*) while on as they have the same technology to prevent movement damage as HDDs in higher-quality portable computers. This "anti-bump" technology varies in quality so it varies in price. Remember this option when looking at prices as portables cost more than plain externals.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#8 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

I do have an external hard-drive that has 500gb. I will use PureRa when I get a chance.

I did remove all but one system restore point. I recently upgraded from Microsoft Office 2003 to 2010. I used to have about 4 gb available then. Was the upgrade the cause of the problem?

MS office is only supposed to take about a gigabyte of space.
Malware shall not pass!

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

I recently upgraded from Microsoft Office 2003 to 2010. I used to have about 4 gb available then. Was the upgrade the cause of the problem?

Quite possibly:

Office 2003 400 MB

Office 2007 2 GB

Office 2010 3 GB

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351.aspx

I've not had any problems from deleting the hotfix and update uninstallers from a stable system, but it will mean none of them can be rolled back. But then I keep backup images of all those systems anyway, as Allan has mentioned.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:04 AM

If the external HDD is pretty much constantly connected, you could install programs to it (such as MS Office 2010) to give yourself more space. Of course, that means that every time you disconnect the computer, programs installed to it will cease to function, and this could also impact system stability. If you're never going to disconnect it, then it's okay.

It's been my observation that as computers get more advanced and software designers strive to provide more advanced and more complete software, the direct result is that newer versions are almost always larger than older ones (except when the developer deliberately makes it smaller). This is not just true of MS Office and Windows, but many other things, from Internet Security like Norton's and McAfee to games, utilities and most other things you can think of.

There are SOME developers who use low-level programming languages to minimize size and try to make very compact programs, but these tend to be more utilitarian and practical than user-friendly and robust. That doesn't mean they're bad, though!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#11 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

The hard-drive has 2 parts: a C drive and a D drive. The c drive has 1gb available out of about 16gb. I cleaned all the system restore points and still have only 1gb.

What you have on the 2nd partition (D:)?
Posted Image

#12 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

The D: partion has 10gb/16 available.

My external hd is a Seagate. While using a program that is installed on the external hd, the external hd sometimes turns off on its own. How do I fix this?
Malware shall not pass!

#13 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Do you have the Seagate Utility Toolkit CD? If not, you could download it from them. Select SeaTools for Windows for the utility that checks the drive's health. It works on Maxtor drives, too.

Is the external HDD old? Has it been dropped or otherwise abused? Have you checked to make sure the power and USB cables are fully plugged in to the HDD/computer/electrical outlet? You might want to check the BIOS settings for it (usually automatic is best) if you feel comfortable with that.

edit: fixed link
edit: I tried to download it using both Chrome and IE, because my CD only has it in diskette creator form and I have no more 3.5" diskettes. However, after selecting my OS and clicking download, the agreement screen came up blank, and then the instruction screen after that didn't even have a button to click on to download. IE: I couldn't download it! Hope you have better luck!

Edited by RevGAM, 05 May 2012 - 01:28 PM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#14 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

The D: partion has 10gb/16 available.

If it were me and I only had a 32GB hd, I would clear/backup everything off the 2nd partition, then merge it with the 1st, leaving you with C: being your only internal drive, which would leave you with 11 of 32GB free.
Posted Image

#15 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

That is an excellent idea, kisk! But don't forget to put the backed-up stuff from D: onto C: after you're done merging. :)

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users