Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log on barring

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a little poser of a question.

A friend of mine runs a windows Xp pro, Sp3.On the user accounts there is the one account for the owner(also administrator) password protected.
There are three other user acounts, equally password protected but not having administrator privilges or rights.

Is there any method in which the administrator can prevent logins taking place on the other user accounts in the very early hours of the morning....when children should be asleep in bed and not playing with computers !

Regards,

Tony :cold:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Why doesn't she simply remove the power cord from the back of the machine and take it to bed with her?

Or is it a laptop?

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi,

Yes there is that,I even sugested removing the fuse from the plug.didn't go down too well as a suggestion.

Regards
Tony :cold:

Edited by Bonneville, 04 May 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

How about setting up a boot password in the BIOS so you can't get into the BIOS without the password nor can you boot without the password. Usually two separate settings. However do not set a hard drive password since if you forget that one your data is toast and the drive will need to be replaced.

If it is a laptop they are very hard to clear passwords on.

If it is a desktop then you need to secure the side so the BIOS can not be cleared with the jumpers. If the password were to be cleared then next boot and no password prompt would tell that the P/W was cleared.

It could be started and the password entered and then let the little darlings use it until bedtime. Then shut it down so they can't use it until the next time the password is entered.

The biggest obstacle to this approach is that some people seem to be unable to bring themselves to shut down the computer. I hear it takes to long to start, the answer to that is turn it on and go get some coffee.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the imput.
Your tip has now made sure the little darlings get a good night sleep...............!!!

Regards

Tony. :clapping:

Edited by Bonneville, 08 May 2012 - 03:59 AM.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

There's one other way you can do it which is to use a USB stick to disable the PC simply by removing it.

The application is called "Predator" and can also be used to lock the system when you go on vacation. Details here: http://www.predator-usb.com/predator/en/index.php?n=Main.HomePage There's a freeware version available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users