Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadband Sharing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rockwell133

rockwell133

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hi, I am trying to save money....
We are soon getting broadband and i know you can buy a wireless router to share the internet with other comuters but can you set up a computer that conects to the internet and the sends the internet to the other computers through its wireless card? Any help/advice would be very apreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

Yes but for the novice user it is safer and less of a headache to use a router. You will need two NIC in your computer. One for the modem and one for a hub or switch (if you are running more then two computers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 rockwell133

rockwell133
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:47 AM

Cheers, what is an NIC? I already have a wired lan card in the pc and was going to buy a wireless one too, wired into the broadband modem and the wireless one to share the conection. I have tried this wired on this computer using software called 602LAN SUITE, works well (baring in mind it is dial-up). I wouldnt say im a novice, but have never done this before. Thanks for your reply.

#4 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:51 AM

on your wireless card you might beable to go into the connection and share internet on it. im not totally sure you can share internet using a wireless card. it might be easyer to use a router and yourself connect to the router wirelessly as well as the other people you want to connect to it

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:27 AM

Cheers, what is an NIC? I already have a wired lan card in the pc and was going to buy a wireless one too, wired into the broadband modem and the wireless one to share the conection. I have tried this wired on this computer using software called 602LAN SUITE, works well (baring in mind it is dial-up). I wouldnt say im a novice, but have never done this before. Thanks for your reply.

Yep. That is the way to go. If you have XP on both machines use the New Connection Wizard to configure your computers. I have never used 602LAN Suite before but if it works go for it. If it does work let us know and how well it worked.

NIC=Network Interface Card

#6 rockwell133

rockwell133
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:59 AM

Cool, thats good news.... after doing some more reserch on prices i have found a linksys access point for 15 and because there will be about 5 computers on the network thought it would be a good idea to connect the server to the access point and then for the server to share it through this. Then the other computers with there wirless cards can have there IP given to the by DHCP and the range and speed would naturally be better?? Thanks for your replys

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:15 PM

Wow! You are a fast learner. That sounds like you have an excellent plan. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users