Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free email that supports privacy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Having just finished learning about Internet privacy, tracking, cookies, filter bubbling and whatnot, and about the merits of DuckDuckGo, ixquick and its sister site StartPage, I'm determined to move away from privacy-invasive email services like Gmail, Yahoo! and Hotmail.

A quick search on DuckDuckGo brings up several choices, none of which I'm familiar with, so I'd like to ask for your suggestions. A few of the results I got:
Hushmail - Free Email with Privacy (WOT okay)
Private Email | Basic Account from PrivacyHarbor.com (WOT okay)
Free anonymous email and private email, private label email (WOT okay)
Cyber-Rights.net :// Free, Secure & Private Email (no WOT rating)
www.KeptPrivate.com - - secure email (WOT okay)
Westie Mail - Private, Free Email (WOT okay)

And several more.

I really want something that takes privacy seriously like those search engines I mentioned. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Install Firefox, download from: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html This is the link where you can select your own language version from.

Then install these add-ons:

After you install Firefox, do the following.

• In the location bar where you normally type in a web address (URL), type: about:config and hit Enter.
  • In the filter at the top, type: keyword.URL
  • When you see the warning message, click: "OK, I promise I'll be careful" to proceed further.
  • Double click keyword.URL, delete the current entry and replace it with this: http://www.google.co.id/webhp?complete=0&hl=en/search?q= This will change the default search engine to Google Indonesia and disable "Google Instant".
I've tried most other search engines including the ones you mentioned, but they're not up to Google's standard unfortunately. Also, I use Google Maps a lot, so I need access to it most days. But the add-on I mentioned called "Adblock Plus" will block Google Adsense ads, you won't have to contend with those.

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

Thank you for the information, but you didn't actually answer my question - which is about email. I want to set up a new account with a site that protects my email privacy.

I'm already familiar with most of the add-ons that you mentioned and, of course, FF, which enjoys much wider support and compatibility than Chrome.

Do any of those add-ons provide SSL or encryption between my computer and the mail server, like Hushmail does, or cause emails I send to be stored on the server in encrypted form, like Hushmail?

As for Google, please read this: Debunking Google's log anonymization propaganda. and let me know what you think. Is it still accurate (from 2011), or has Google bowed to privacy pressure and actually done something significant to protect user privacy? I would really like to know!

Once again, although I appreciate all the info, I'm looking for the best in free private email service, (not necessarily anonymity).

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

Hushmail requires Java to be installed and as most of us know, Java is frequently targeted by hackers. Oracle released Java 7 to the general public yesterday, but how long it will remain exploit free is anybody's guess.

But you've already named a few others so why don't you give them a try?

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

But you've already named a few others so why don't you give them a try?

For the reason that I don't have enough information and knowledge to make an informed choice. I didn't know that Oracle has finally released Java 7 for public consumption, as well.

Of course, without scripting, and especially Javascript, many websites just don't work right, nor do they offer non-JS alternatives to use (DuckDuckGo's settings are offered in three different flavor, however).

I looked at the ones I listed last night and some seemed like good possibilities while others were false leads or didn't provide adequate information about their services.

For example:
HushMail uses SSL. It also encrypts email, even when it's stored on its server.
WestieMail is nothing more than regular email as far as I can see.
Anonymousemail seems to be more focused on anonymity than security.
Of the ones that I found info on, the amount of storage space is very small, and the max. attachment size is, too.

I don't feel comfortable making a decision without the informed opinions of those who know more about this topic.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#6 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hushmail requires Java to be installed and as most of us know, Java is frequently targeted by hackers. Oracle released Java 7 to the general public yesterday, but how long it will remain exploit free is anybody's guess.

It's odd that java.com still doesn't offer Java 7u4, refers me to Java 6u32, and still displays the following for Java 7:

Why is Java SE 7 not yet available on java.com?
The new release of Java is first made available to the developers to ensure no major problems are found before we make it available on the java.com website for end users to download the latest version. If you are interested in trying Java SE 7 it can be downloaded from Oracle.com.

(my bolding) Also, Java 7 has been available to anyone who dares to download it for quite some time. Please note that while the article is dated May 4th, there is this anomalous tidbit:

The currently missing Java SE 7 consumer version, including Java Runtime Environment (JRE), will probably become available as a new Java standard version at java.com on 1 May...

(my bolding)

Doesn't sound to me like it's gone public.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#7 MegaMaxxx

MegaMaxxx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Well, if you are just looking for an email adress to register somewhere you can also use a disposable mail service like, http://www.trashmail.org/. It is free and no registration is required. So you can keep your privacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users