Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Names On Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:54 PM

My husband's company gave him a work computer to use, but it was registered under the name of a previous employee who used it first. Not fun to see some former employee's name on all the documents my hubby makes. We have permission to change the name from the company, but we have to do it ourselves. I changed to computer name just fine, but don't know how to changed who the computer is registered to.

I tried to change the name in Windows Explorer, under Windows>>Documents and settings, but it won't let me do that, since they are Program files.

Can someone tell me how to do this, or is this something that can't be done?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

Hi EdithBunker,

Here are two links that explain how to change the registered owner name.
Just FYI: Effecting this type of change will not allow one to register any illegal software.

Caution this requires making a change to the Registery! Follow all instructions carefully.

XP: Change the Registered Owner and Organization Names

change registered owner/orginazation of xp
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:03 PM

Thank you KoanYorel,

These look like detailed enough instructions, but I am going to wait til tomorrow morning when I am fresh!! I don't want to mess anything up.

As far as i know this is all legal software--we didn't do the initial set up of the machine, but I would hope this company has everything legal. Guess I'll find out, huh? And I'll find out what happens, too--will the computer shut down? Will microsoft police be pounding on my door and take my firstborn? :thumbsup: Worse, will my hubby be unable to use his computer and get stuck having to use my Win98-slow-moving- Dinoputer? (Maybe that won't be so bad, he'd see what a pain inna hiney it is and buy me a new one? :flowers: )

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

That cautionary statement is actually intended for all others reading your post.
It's a liability thing - ya know? :thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users