Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the BEST Download Manager?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

This is a two-part question that breaks down into the categories of freeware and software you have to pay for. In specific, I'm looking for informed users of download managers.

About 3 years ago, I tried asking the Wikipedia editors of the comparative table of download managers to update it (because it's woefully incomplete) and the short answer was "Do it yourself." The long answer was a bit better, but the excuse given for why most DMs weren't listed at all was because they only list DMs that have a page on Wikipedia. When I searched Wikipedia and posted a list of all the DMs on Wikipedia that were NOT in the table, that's when I got blown off. Not being an expert on the topic (although I've tried a few from the very LONG list that are available) of DMs and audio/video DMs, I wisely declined.

So, here I am, looking to BC members to see if I can get a good idea of which DMs are top of the heap.

Please keep in mind a few points:

I dumped Download Accelerator Plus because of the adware and some other issues.
I am dumping Free Download Manager because it doesn't allow me to pause my downloads.
I had problems with Go!Zilla when I tried using it.
I've used LeechGet and JDownloader, but formed no opinion yet.
I'm also dumping FlashGet 3.7 because there is no way to completely disable P2P connections with it, and also because it's trying to get me to install the Simplified Chinese Language Pack when I haven't visited any sites that need it. I find that worrisome and invasive. Wikipedia reports it has Cydoor Pop-up ads and Chinese banners.
I am interested in the POTENTIAL of being able to use P2P, but I want TOTAL control over it. I'm not using it to get pirated "warez" - just for big downloads/uploads.
I need to be able to pause/resume downloads (I know not all sites allow this) as I often have to pause them due to sharing the computer.
I need a dropbox, clipboard and browser monitoring, all of which should be toggle-able, and I need it to be able to watch IE, FF and Chrome.
I want a program that is both flexible and relatively user-friendly. Anything that looks as confusing as Shareaza is not my cup of tea (sips some Earl Grey).
Clearly, it should be as fast as possible using the download site and mirrors.
A real bonus would be that it can grab videos and stuff, even if downloading is turned off. As a teacher, I find certain videos indispensable, and I don't have a fast connection to the Internet so spending an hour to watch a 5-minute video is out of the question.
It should be free.

I know: I'm demanding and fussy. Sorry! :whistle: I DO want recommendations for paid programs for the future when I actually have money, but for now flat broke is my state.

At this point, because of the functions I'm aware of and some recommendations, I'm considering settling on Orbit. It has Grab+, which allows me to get videos and such, it has P2P functionality (with full control), drop box, clipboard and browser monitoring, support for many downloading/uploading websites (uploading.com, etc.) and so on. However, some people have expressed concern that it may have some sort of bad software in it, including the Comparison of download managers on Wikipedia which says "mild browser hijack", and it doesn't support Chrome according to the site.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users