Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE9

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

A week or so I reformatted my 64bit W7 laptop and all is okay now after a slight problem with IE9. When downloading all the MS updates I blocked IE9 and stuck with IE8 as I read online that the 64bit version of IE9 tends to give problems not like the 32bit version. I wouldn't mind giving it another go so does anyone have any ideas about this.

I am not keen on other browsers preferring to stick with IE 8 or 9. Old habits and preferences die hard....!!!!

Thanks for any input.

Centre.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Do the following.

• Click the Start button and in the Search field which appears, type regedit.exe.
  • Click the link which appears to run the Registry Editor and then navigate to: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\9.0
  • In the right hand pane, delete the key called DoNotAllowIE90
  • Close Regedit and reboot. You should now find IE9 as an option in Windows Updates in Control Panel.
N.B. As a precaution, I would advise you to create a manual Restore Point before proceeding just in case you accidentally delete the wrong key.

If you don't know how to access System Restore, you'll find illustrated instructions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

#3 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

If I'm not mistaken, when you install IE9 on a 64bit OS, it installs both the 32/64bit versions. You are free to use the 32bit version just fine on your 64bit OS .. I do for certain tasks. :thumbup2:
Posted Image

#4 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Okay I took the big plunge and downloaded IE9 64bit and so far all seems okay. I am not experiencing any of the problems I was previously.

Thanks for your idead it was appreciated.

Centre.

#5 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

After you install IE9 64bit, you should have two icons in your All Programs folder, Internet Explorer (64-bit) and plain old Internet Explorer ... the second is the 32bit version. Mainly the gripes everyone has about the 64bit version is it compatibility with certain add-ons. However, it has been awhile since I heard anything about it so some of these issues may have been cleared up.
Posted Image

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Update Flash player if you use it. Adobe has just released a security bulletin citing IE as the only target for an exploit.

Broader details here: Adobe Flash Player update closes critical object confusion hole

#7 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

Thanks to you both. Have the 2 versions of IE9 32 & 64 bit plus I did the flash player update as suggested and all okay. Thanks again.

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

Thanks to you both. Have the 2 versions of IE9 32 & 64 bit plus I did the flash player update as suggested and all okay. Thanks again.

Be aware that when you launch IE on a 64-bit system, the 32-bit version is used by default. You have to specifically choose the other one if you want to surf in the 64-bit flavour. The easiest way is to right click the link on the "Programs" menu and choose "Pin to Taskbar" so that you can launch it from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users