Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Orbit Download Manager vs Secunia PSI

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'd like to know if anyone has taken the time to do a serious comparison of main function of Secunia's PSI - which is to say checking for out-of-date software and offering to update it (auto-updating is available) to get rid of security vulnerabilities that often come with outdated software - versus the same feature that is built into Orbit Download Manager's software.

In the past, I've used PSI and been relatively satisfied with it, but on both my W7 HP Pavilion dv2 laptop and my WXP SP3 desktop, I'm having problems. I tried v2 on my W7 laptop, and it always got stuck verifying the Internet connection, so I got rid of it. On this desktop unit, I've tried v2 and v3 with the same problem. HOWEVER, I noticed in the FAQ that I should enable a certain script function (already on by default) and add secunia's domain to the list of trusted sites in Internet Options. I did that, and v3 continued to not be able to open - it just opened a large blank window with the typical title box superimposed over it.

I can't try to use the info from the FAQ on the laptop as it's broken. :cry: I'll try if I ever get it fixed (no money).

So, back to the point of this thread - I'd like to know informed opinions comparing PSI vs Orbit - just for the outdated software feature. If they are comparable, that's another point in favor of me using Orbit for my downloads (Chrome doesn't seem to have a good add-on for it like Firefox does).

Yes, I'm using Chrome. IE8 is on my machine but, although it's a new install, it's really flaky. I'll be reinstalling it eventually.

Thanks to all for your input. I really value any comparative knowledge I can gain on this subject.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

IE8 is on my machine but, although it's a new install, it's really flaky.

On a Windows7 you should have been informed that I.E.9 is the current update (or done it via Windows updates)
How often do you actually check for Windows Updates, and include Custom Updates also ? ?

I used Secunia PSI for at least a year, but I got sick of following their advice and uninstalled it -

Just Mine -

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Sorry, I'm using XP, hence the IE8 (blech). My W7 laptop is...broken. :cry:

So, no info about Orbit's function?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=orbit%20download%20manager&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CK8BEBYwCg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FOrbit_Downloader&ei=GcqoT4mmDeqSiAf0w6XNAw&usg=AFQjCNHBJwfHfN16ScHXRleztFFYu-KHmA
Read the Wiki article - :mellow:

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Sorry, but that isn't what I meant. I'm looking for a comparison. My question still remains the same - how does Orbit's function as an outdated-software alerter compare to PSI?

If there are others out there like PSI (and I know there are), feel free to include them.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

File HIPPO Program Updater seems to be another that is offered at times

Never used it, but you can "play" with it if you would like to -

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I thought I would mention that Orbit's Software Updater advised me that Adobe Reader's newest version is 11. Of course, I found that odd, so I checked Adobe's download page for the product, which says the version is 10.1.3. So, I clicked on the link Orbit provided for the info of v11, which led me here. This, in turn, shows v11 as being the latest version, and points to this alternate location for Reader. Sadly, even in the news on Adobe, I could find no mention of v11, so it makes me suspicious of the accuracy of Orbit's SU.

I will check other recommended updates and see whether I get more false positives or, worse yet, links to bad websites.

I do have to say that the referenced article didn't link to a bad website - it just had incorrect info.

Edited by RevGAM, 22 May 2012 - 10:19 AM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

No links to bad websites, but...
Basically, it seems to rely on FanHow.com being updated, and that's the problem. Editors there may not keep it up to date or may even post bad info (as in the case of Adobe Reader).

It flagged Adobe Shockwave Player as being 11.5.7.609 but it's actually at 11.6.5.635.
7-Zip: Marked as 9.15.0.0, actually 9.20
Avast! Free Antivirus: 5.0.594.0 / 7.0.1426
CCleaner: 2.34.0.1200 / 3.18.1707

In fact, in looking at the list of software it found installed on my computer (only 35) and the listed "current" version for them, plus the Notifications tab, which lists 14 of the programs as needing to be updated, it has become clear to me that Orbit's Software Updater is not to be relied upon at all. I mean, seriously, I'd still be using Avast v5!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#9 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

I thought it would be advisable to inform that, since I last posted about the unreliability of the Software Updater in Orbit DM, they released an update that keeps the updater on at all times - even if you disable it in the settings. I have removed Orbit DM because I question how safe it is. Anyone who chooses it should consider the risks.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Listed Features all include "Speedup My PC" type versions, and very little related to Secunia PSI program -

Great Speed: Up to The Fastest Download Manager
Orbit Downloader is based on p2p and multi-source downloading technology.
Free Download Manager is a powerful, easy-to-use and absolutely free download accelerator and manager.
Orbit Downloader is an advertising-supported product since it may change the web browser's homepage upon installation and also offers to install software that are not critical for its operation

#11 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Another thing I found about Orbit that I don't like: after uninstalling it completely from my system, it continues to be the default download manager in Google Chrome, and I haven't yet found any way to change that. I've added SABDrop and Avant Downloader and hope that will override this "left-over" I don't want.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users