Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erase Data part 2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toria123

Toria123

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

Already had a thread here about wiping the computer before passing it on and i got some good info. But yesterday a friend gave me a software (it can do 3 pcs) called Appsmaker Data Erase Pro, anyone ever used it or know about it?
It sounds good im just so wary about starting this process of wiping.

This is what it says about wiping the system, sorry im not very technical, but why does it create a bootable storage medium also do you think i'll still need to reinstall xp after using this?

"Wiping The Complete System.
DataErase can be used to wipe the complete system, including the system partition, by facilitating the creation of a bootable storage medium. The system to be wiped can be started from this medium and can be completely wiped using the deletion module provided."

and lastly will i disconnect from the internet when wiping?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

and lastly will i disconnect from the internet when wiping?

You won't be in Windows when the wiping procedure runs. That's the point of the bootable media. Never used that software before so I can't comment on its reliability. I've always used DBAN.

EDIT: Just to clarify, when you wipe a drive EVERYTHING on the drive is lost, even the operating system. Make sure you know all your product keys and have an XP disk ready for the reinstall. I'd go ahead and find all the drivers for your system as well and have them on a flash drive. :thumbup2:

Edited by kisk, 04 May 2012 - 08:45 AM.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Before you use any program...you might want to take a look at your other topic and the considerations I outlined :).

Louis

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

If you know anything about computer technology, you'll know that machines use a two base binary code which comprises of 0s and 1s (zeros and ones). All you need to do to erase the disk is to use a utility which writes zeros to the hard drive. This will overwrite all the "1"s so that no data can ever be recovered. Seagate has one called SeaTools which can be also used for other hard drives. I've used it myself and it's completely reliable although it can take six to seven hours to complete on a large capacity HD.

#5 Toria123

Toria123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I've finally started the procedure with the Appsmaker Data erase pro which is actually Dariks Boot and Nuke :huh: because that what's currently running and doing the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users