Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Site Search

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 x1y0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

I need a good search engine that will only search the content of my domains and not connect to any external sources. The data related to my domains should function as an internal database only. Part of the idea is to obtain a high quality standard by selecting only the best results from external sources. 1/ The information on the web is put there by humans, but it seems that large quantities are of a considerable low standard. 2/ The information is found found by what I term external search engines. 3/ They do find a lot of useful information, but also much more useless information. 4/ Humans have to select what information is relevant or not anyway. I'm working rather intensely with the criterias of such a selection process. Lately I have investigated a lot of oppotunities using Googlebot, but I am not able to judge which site search engines are worth the time and money or not. Also, to which degree am I allowed to customize such a product?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,431 posts
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

Have you looked at the Google Mini?

If you like the google search engine and how it indexes, then they have a product that you can put in your office that will index only what you tell it to.

#3 x1y0

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the advice Lawrence.

I have examined Google Mini and it's just beautiful. No doubt that Google are really good at their game. Your choice reveals excellent understanding of the issues in question. It also seems quite clear to me that this solution has its greatest potential in a disorganized information scenario. The more disorganized your level of information is, the more you need a highly capable instrument to organize and bring forward the required information. However, my level of information is not disorganized at all at this point. But it's also true that it perhaps sooner or later will be exposed to the risk of becoming increasingly disorganized simply because of a greater and greater number of informations. I openly admit that I'm totally convinced that Google Mini is a superior choice. I cannot surpass it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users