Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking The Xbox360

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hatchethero

hatchethero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:38 PM

im having trouble linking my xbox360 to my computer everywhere ive gone for help has none and sends me somewhere else my computer cannot find my xbox through my network adapter and vice versa i have no idea how to config router for this so if any on knows how to help please cause im out of options

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

What router are you using? What version of windows do you have XP Home, XP Pro, W2000, XP Media Center? What ISP are you using? Does you router support UPnP? Have you updated the firmware from your router's website(If available)? How is your Xbox connected to the LAN?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 hatchethero

hatchethero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:13 AM

i have a linksys befr41 v.4 router and i run xp home with media connect. my isp is tsksnap its a ppoe connection type, my roouter does support upnp and i updated my firmware recently and no new udaptes are avaiable. my computer is connected through an ethernet cable to the router

the xbox is also connected through just an ethernet cable

#4 c-had

c-had

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:15 PM

Make sure your linksys device is acting as a DHCP server. Make sure your PC and your XBOX 360 are set to DHCP and are receiving it from the same scope (I.E. I have seen people have their DSL or CABLE modems also giving DHCP on different networks). Check your network settings from the PC with CMD from the run menu, IPCONFIG and it should show as an address given in the DHCP scope of your linksys. Since the linksys has a firewall, I recommend turning Windows Firewall off if you are running XP SP2.

The reason you are not seing a lot of people having this problem is because out of the box it should be working fine, it did for me and my friend that has one. The only reason it wouldn't work in my opinion, is if they were on different networks.

Good luck!

Edited by c-had, 27 February 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#5 c-had

c-had

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:05 PM

I just had another thought. Unless your PC is running Windows Media Center OS, use "Pictures" and "Music" to connect to your media connect enabled PC and not the "media center" option on the XBOX. Remember to allow file sharing with the xbox on the pc side. Download your pc side stuff here.

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users