Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Office wont update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 darkchild101

darkchild101

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi guys
I have got Open office and despite repeated attempts it wont update. It keeps saying checking for updates failed even though Secunia reports that i need to update the program. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall and still the problem persists. under descriptions it says

"Could not establish network connection to update36.services.openoffice.org."

I am running Windows Vista if thats any help

Edited by darkchild101, 03 May 2012 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

According to: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45473

thomasjk says:

The updater does not work very well and there is no current update available beyond V3.3. V3.4 will not become available until 2012. Its easier to just download directly from www.openoffice.org. I recommend that you turn off the feature because its been known to cause crashes when it it can't connect.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 darkchild101

darkchild101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thanks Animal :thumbup2:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

You're quite welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

OpenOffice 3.4.0 has just been released today. It includes a number of security fixes in addition to new features See: Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 debuts

#6 darkchild101

darkchild101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

OpenOffice 3.4.0 has just been released today. It includes a number of security fixes in addition to new features See: Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 debuts

Thanks, so whats the best thing for me to do given my Oppen Office which wont even allow me to check for updates

#7 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks, so whats the best thing for me to do given my Oppen Office which wont even allow me to check for updates

Download the full version I think. Hopefully, you're not on dialup.

#8 darkchild101

darkchild101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thankfully im on 8MB broadband. So i unstall the one i have got :blink:

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thankfully im on 8MB broadband. So i unstall the one i have got :blink:

No, that's not necessary. Simply run the installation file and it will act as an upgrade. That feature was introduced in version 1.1

#10 darkchild101

darkchild101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks Xircal :thumbsup: :thumbup2:

#11 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •