Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

I just ran an online Secunia scan for insecure software and it shows three Adobe Flash Players installed, two look to me to be identical. So the latest version would be the .233.

Do I have unnecessary copies installed? When I go to Revo Uninstaller, it only shows one icon for Adobe Flash, not three. I believe I read that previous version of Flash should be removed before installing the latest versions.

Can someone let me know whether cleanup is needed? Remove them all and start over? If I have three versions, why do I not see three versions when I look in Revo Uninstaller or in Program files?

Maybe I am not understanding something here. Thanks for any suggestions.

Adobe Flash Player 11.x Adobe Flash Player 11.x 11.2.202.233 (NPAPI) Adobe Flash Player 11.x
Adobe Flash Player 11.x Adobe Flash Player 11.x 11.2.202.229 (NPAPI) Adobe Flash Player 11.x
Adobe Flash Player 11.x Adobe Flash Player 11.x 11.2.202.229 (NPAPI) Adobe Flash Player 11.x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

There is a Flash Player for IE, Flash Player Plug in/s, and Flash Player for 'other browsers'. Secunia doesn't distinguish very well between them. I found this out the hard way myself. I have 7 of them listed due to my collection of browsers and the plugins associated with them as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Those are likely what Secunia classifies as "zombie files", which are just left-over files that an installer doesn't clean up after installing the latest update.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

You can see what's installed with this..

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • List Installed Programs
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

11.2.202.229 is the Google Chrome version which is directly integrated into the GC browser and cannot be updated manually.

The other one, namely 11.2.202.233 is the current plugin for other browsers. There is a similar version for IE, but it has the suffix "_ax", but I don't know if Secunia provides that kind of detail or not.

Usually, there's only a single digit difference between the Google Chrome version and the plugin for other browsers. When 11.2.202.229 was released, the plugin version was 11.2.202.228, however, a printer issue arose for which Adobe released 11.2.202.233, but this issue didn't affect the GC release and that's why that version remains the same.

Edited by Xircal, 04 May 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

I have IE9, FF 12 & latest Chrome installed...PSI (latest) does not detect Chrome's Flash version, only the IE (Active X) & "other" browser (dll) versions:

Posted Image

Chrome's native flash is gcswf32.dll, undetected by PSI:
Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 04 May 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#7 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Great responses everyone, and VERY helpful. I found more versions on a second check! Two were in my 'user' temp folder so I deleted those, and (apparently) it's common for Chrome to show more than one plug-in/version. It's not a security risk (they say), as the browser automatically uses the more current version. I will followup on some of the tips here. Thanks again.

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

There's a new Flash player exploit doing the rounds - we seem to get one every week these days - but it only affects Internet Explorer apparently.

More on the story here: Adobe Flash Player update closes critical object confusion hole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users