Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard disk 500GB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Josef1994

Josef1994

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Ok, this is what happened. I recently bought this external hd PQI 500 gb about two/three moths ago. It's a drop tested hd, and this morning I dropped it sort of 30 inches high. And now when I connect it to my PC the LED is on, and I can hear it working as it usually does. But it doesn't show up in my computer. Anyone can tell me what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi

There are two questions to answer...

1. Does the BIOS detect it?
Shut down the computer completely
Unplug the USB from its power supply and the USB cable.
Count to 5 :wink:
Plug in the AC adapter to the drive
Plug the drive into the USB connected to the computer
Turn on the computer

Does it see the drive?

2. Does Windows plug and play see the drive?
If #1 did not work then unplug the USB cable from the drive
Count to 5 :wink:
Plug it back in to the drive
Wait a few moments and see if Windows detects a new device

If neither of these work, let me know.
There are two more things to try but they are more involved.
Keep in mind that if the drive was powered on when it fell that makes it more likely that it was severely damaged.

James

#3 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply. But this is a USB HD. Just plug in the USB and work. There's no power supply! I tried both suggestions and both failed! :(

Edited by Josef1994, 03 May 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the power supply for that :)

That is rated with a 'transit drop test' which is for when it is not running but being transported or carried. Did you drop it while it was connected and running or while it was not running?

From http://www.nts.com/services/dynamics/drop

MIL-STD-810 Procedure IV (Transit Drop) examines material outside of, or within the transit case as it is being loaded, unloaded, moved from a rack or being placed in or removed from a transit case. The test simulates an accidental drop, or bump shock, and depending on the package weight and size it requires a free fall from 18 to 48 inches. Testing methodology involves five to 26 drops and utilizes either a quick release tester or a fixture that elevates, and then drops one side of the package.

James

#5 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

No, I dropped when it wasn't running. Was going to school and fell out of my hand.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I would take a look in Disk Management, where all drives should be reflected (if detected).

If the drive is not reflected, you have a problem with either the enclosure containing the drive...or the drive itself. To pinpoint which, the drive would have to be removed from the enclosure...and directly attached to motherboard of a system.

Louis

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hi

Just want to mention that this is a hardened drive and probably very difficult to open and if it is opened, it will likely never go back together right again afterwards. That's why Josef1994 is surprised that it broke as am I after getting a full description of what happened.

Josef1994, make sure that the USB jack on the drive is clean. Use isopropyl alchohol and a cotton swab to carefully clean it if you see any dirt in there. let it dry completely before using again.
Also, try a different USB cable if you can (I know that sometimes these come with a cable permanently attached, check if the cable feels loose if that is the case).

Let's try to see if it becomes visible in Linux as an unmounted drive.
Download the ISO for Parted Magic from here and burn it to a CD...
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
If you do not know how to make a boot CD of the ISO, let me know and I will get you further instructions.

Connect the drive to the computer and boot from the CD.
When it gives you the list of options at startup choose...
1. Default settings (Runs from RAM)

Once it boots, you'll see that it looks kind of like XP. Instead of a start button in the lower left it has a button with a picture of a hard drive on it. For this post we will call that the START button.

Go ahead open LXTerminal, START>ACCESSORIES>LXTerminal
Type
fdisk -lu
and press enter

Let me know if it sees and lists the bad drive. Try to tell me as much of the output as you can or take a picture of the screen and post it.

Now you can shutdown the computer.
START>Logout
Choose "Shutdown the computer" and click OK

If it sees the bad drive we can attempt a recovery.
Either way, you should plan on sending this back for a replacement as it failed to do what it was certified to do.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 04 May 2012 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users