Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help on what devices to use

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 makaveli3005

makaveli3005

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Cannot get my network to work here's my setup in the house I have cable modem connected to wireless router connected to desktop Ethernet and also a powerline network adapter the other end is in the detached garage..... My question is I only need WiFi in the garage how can i move my router to the end and place a unit between the cable modem that splits into 2 for the desktop and the powerline adapter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Your best option would be to move the modem and the router to the garage then use a powerline adapter to send the signal back into the house. In the house between the two PC"s you would use A Network Switch. A Network Switch cost slightly more then a standard hub but hub's can slow down a network with broadcast traffic. Whereas a Network switch is capable of examining the Data packet and sending the traffic to only the Pc its designed for (unless the PC is not in the routing table)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 makaveli3005

makaveli3005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I can't move the modem to the garage bc there is no coaxial cable in there....

#4 makaveli3005

makaveli3005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Also in the garage I'm going to use the WiFi for netflix and cell phones and also a direct Ethernet for an older desktop.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

You can still use the switch in between each pc if you move the router to the garage you Wii need two sets of powerline network adapters one to connect to the router from the cable modem and one connect the switch to the router. This way your network is still behind the router firewall.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 makaveli3005

makaveli3005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

I tried cascading the routers setup one with ip 192.168.1.1 dhcp enabled as the main router It's a linksys wrt n router and then the 2nd setup as 192.168.1.2 dhcp turned off same network name same wps password and same subnet mask. But when I connect it to the powerline network adapter and try connecting WiFi on my cell phone it constantly says obtaining address occasionally it'll say connected but I can't view any websites. What could be the problem

The 2nd Router is a linksys e1000 btw

#7 makaveli3005

makaveli3005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Well i checked and discovered the powerline network adapter isnt working in the garage anything else I could do?

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

How far apart are the garage and the house?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users