Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Crashing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LisaKP

LisaKP

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

I have a problem with my HP desktop computer crashing periodically. This initially started happening on wake-up or when the computer was restarted, but is now happening randomly. I end up having to hold the power button down and then switching it back on. Usually I get the option to start windows normally but even then it gets to the coloured Windows logo and hangs. Sometimes, it can take 4/5 attempts to actually load Windows. It has gotten to the point where I never turn it off because I don't know whether it will re-start!

I have run a borrowed copy of Malwarebytes and removed the offending items and the problem continued. So, last weekend I backed up all my data and re-installed Windows. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem and it seems to be happening more frequently after the re-install. My brother has suggested Combofix but I know nothing about this program.

I don't really want to have to buy a new computer!! Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Many thanks.

Mod Edit: Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 May 2012 - 02:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Use System Restore to wind back the clock to a time prior to the problem occuring. Illustrated instructions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

#3 LisaKP

LisaKP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

Thanks, Xircal. I will have a look at that.

#4 LisaKP

LisaKP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

I have had a look at the link, and I have a question. Is this the same as the HP system restore which comes up as an option (F11 I think) as part of the boot process?

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

I have had a look at the link, and I have a question. Is this the same as the HP system restore which comes up as an option (F11 I think) as part of the boot process?

No. The HP version will reformat the hard disk and reinstall the operating system.

#6 LisaKP

LisaKP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

Further to my post in this topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic452297.html I was planning on doing a system restore this coming weekend. However, during one of my computer crashes, it stalled on the Windows 7 startup screen (the black one with the coloured Windows logo in the middle) and now it won't switch on at all. I have tried un plugging it and when you push the on button, nothing happens.

Please can someone advise how I can get the computer to start so that I can do a system restore.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Mod Edit: Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 May 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

Try another power supply of the same or greater output wattage and reseat/replace CMOS battery. If you are not comfortable in doing some hardware testing, take it to a technician or a repair shop. There maybe more diagnosing needed to be fix on both hardware and software at this point.

Tekken

#8 LisaKP

LisaKP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

Tried a new power supply to no avail. Desktop PC still won't turn on :(

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

How old is the machine? Which model is it?

Also, have you tried plugging it in to a different wall socket?

You could try using another power cord too.

#10 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

Check the capacitors on the board. Are any of them bulging, leaking, or rusting?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#11 LisaKP

LisaKP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

None that I can see. Is it possible that the hard drive got damaged by the virus/malware?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

<<...and now it won't switch on at all>>

Is that an accurate statement...the system gives no sign of life at all?

Louis

#13 LisaKP

LisaKP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:38 AM

Hi Louis,

LOL, yes that is accurate. When I push the power button - nothing. The button depresses but doesn't light up like it should. I have taken the cover off and checked to see that the button actually works and it seems ok. All the connections seem to be connected securley.

It is a HP slimline desktop and my problem is that the hard drive blocks alot of the view and I haven't figured out how to remove it. Everything inside the computer looks intact as far as I can tell.

Lisa

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

I would take it to a repair shop at this point for a more thorough diagnosis.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users