Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer automatically restarts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikej62

mikej62

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

I had a problem that surfaced about a month ago where I can't start up my computer. When I turn on my CPU I get the screen where it gives you the option to start normally, last known good configurations, safe mode, etc. No matter what option I select the computer will automatically restart itself. One thing I did was to disable automatic restart for failures and then I get a blue screen that says Mountable_Boot_Volume so I have to restart again. I do have a Windows XP OS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

One thing I did was to disable automatic restart for failures and then I get a blue screen that says Mountable_Boot_Volume ...

I assume the BSOD error message is:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
STOP 0x000000ED
Let's firstly try running chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console, which will usually fix the most likely issue of disk file-system corruption.

Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP installation CD (or an XP Recovery Console CD).
  • Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key".
    (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 mikej62

mikej62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

I pressed R to do the recovery console and for some reason it didn't ask me which windows to log onto. I got the command prompt and I typed chkdsk /r then pressed enter. But I got a blue screen error that said:

c0000139 {entry point not found}

The procedure entry NTserializeboot could not be located in the dynamic
library ntdll.dll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users