Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hello, Due to computer malfunction, I can only boot to safe mode, or safe mode with networking (Windows XP, SErvice Pack 3). In these modes, I noticed that both Firefox and IE were really old versions. I upgraded FF immediately, and am just getting around to upgrading to IE 8 today. The install is in process, and I have my fingers crossed it will completely successfully (even tho I am in 'safe mode with networking').

But why would older version of the browers show up in safe mode? I had all current browser versions installed just before the computer malfunctioned. I thought 'safe mode' would give me the same versions of the browsers, just with some features disabled. But apparently that is not true, because when I went to check for Windows update, I got a message that updates could only be done with a version of IE 6.0 or later (meaning I was using an earlier version of IE!). That's why I am upgrading IE today.

I have two computers hooked up to the 'net. My DSL gateway modem will connect up to four computers. One of those computers has a really old operating system (Windows ME) that HAS to use outdated browsers, as those are the only ones compatible with ME. Would that have any impact as to what browsers would show up on the OTHER computer? I thought browser versions were installed on specific computers.

Any clarification appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

This was my error. I misinterpreted the message that Microsoft throws up on the screen when you try to use Windows Update from a browser other than IE. They were not saying that I needed to update IE (or that it was an old version); they were saying that I needed to use IE, or go to another download page if I wanted to do Windows Updates while using a different browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users