Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer running horrendously slow and freezing

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

Can anyone help please??

My computer has never been the fastest (Compaq Pressario CQ56), and due to a recent issue with my McAfee Firewall where by it had turned itself off and would not come back on, I placed a post on here and followed the suggested course of action through to completion, which has remedied the firewall issue.

Here's the post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic450698.html

I have since run subsequent Anti-malware and virus scans which are all coming up clean, however the computer is still horrendously slow when using IE. So much so...especially tonight that I am really battling to type this.

Internet Explorer is continuously freezing up, and saying it is not responding, after which I have to recover the webpage.....waiting an eternity for it to do so. Even clicking on a new link results in a wait of between 20 - 50 seconds.

Can anyone help please??!!!

Regards

Paul

Edited by Pablo_C1976, 02 May 2012 - 04:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hi -
Has this just started ? Can you think of any changes / add-ons you may have made ? ?
Is this only with Internet Explorer, or do you also use another browser ? ? Have you changed Internet Provider recently ? ?

Please open SpeedTest, select (click on) your country and only click the Begin Test in the middle of the screen -
NOTE - Do not click on any other links there, they are just Advertising only -
Post the Download speed reported there -

Thank You -

#3 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

Ran the SpeedTest as requested, and the results are as follows:

Ping: 35ms
Download 7.67Mbps
Upload 0.98Mbps

I'm sure I'm meant to be on more than that. That upload rate seems much lower than I recall it should be....

#4 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Have just checked my Broadband Bundle size, and I'm meant to be getting 'up to 30Mbps'.....

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi -
I just rechecked mine, and with this page opened, I can get ......
Ping: 26
Download: 14.2 Mbps
Did not wait for upload to finish - My download is meant to be about, "up to 50 Mbps", but this will depend on many things -
All it takes is a bad / old copper line in the telephone system, or you run through a smaller telephone exchange, and it slows your downloads(my problem).
Download 7.67Mbps, is not a "real bad" result, and we do see much lower (under 5Mbps at times) -

My first step is to usually call your Internet Provider, and they can diagnose many of these connection problems, and may have an Add-on to boost your speed -

These are things that you can do - Any programs listed below are Free, or already installed on your computer -
You can also check that your computer has plenty of free space (remove older programs). I have about 80 to 90% free space at the moment (4G RAM) -
From > Accessories > System Tools, run Defrag to "sort out your files", next run Disk Cleanup, and use a good Temp File cleaner like http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe TFC Temp File Cleaner, download SuperAntiSpyware free (like Malwarebytes, but removes tracking cookies also), and you can also Delete browsing history -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366982.html A link to many great free programs listed on this site -

I also run chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow monthly from command prompt (right click and select Run as Admin), a bit of over kill, but I generally have no problems -
Try a few of these and see if your system improves, or we will need to run Memory tests etc -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 03 May 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#6 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hi,

I will run the following programmes as suggested.....after I replace the system fan, as that died on me last night!!! The computer was very hot and the fan had been operating throughout my usage of it. Thinking it may well have been down dust within the unit I turned it off and let it cool down, then used some compressed air through the fan vent.

Left it for half an hour or so and truned it back on, only for a warning screen to appear, informing me that the system fan was not working, and a '90B' error code reported.

I appreciate this is veering way from the content of my original post, but could I have damaged the fan using the compressed air? (I have used it on the same laptop before without issue), or given the previous overheating issue, could it just be co-incidental that the fan has packed in at the same time as I used the compressed air?

Either way, I imaging a new fan/possible heatsink will be required before I can adress the previous concerns!

Regards

Paul

Edited by Pablo_C1976, 04 May 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Hi -
You are not straying far from your first post -
>"I appreciate this is veering way from the content of my original post, but could I have damaged the fan using the compressed air?"<
The blowing out with a can of air may have found one of your problems - Overheating -
Once you replace the fan and finish cleaning your computer out, you may improve many things -
If you do not have a link to your computers manual, I can usually find a link showing the best way to open it and finish your cleanup -

Drop back later and I will leave a link for your computer manual. Please turn it over and list the full Model numbers for it -

Regards -

There are several Compaq Pressario CQ56 models listed so I will need the full numbers -

Edited by noknojon, 04 May 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#8 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hi.

Many thanks for the assistance, out is much appreciated.

It is a Compaq Presario CQ56-112SA.

It's been overheating for a long time, but a previous blast of compressed air quitened things down for a bit, however it has clearly built back up again, and here we are!

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi again -
http://pdf.healthy2.info/Read/_xvd.aDEwMDMyLnd3dzEuaHAuY29t_xvd..pi_ctg.pi_Manual.pi_c02482638.pdf.html
This is the nearest item listed from HP for service manuals to suit CQ56 models, it may help (about Section 4) -
Their site was totally useless, but I can only say that their HP General Forum <<-Register link, may be able to give you further help with manuals -

Regards -

#10 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

Cheers

#11 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hi....

Apologies for the delayed response, however, this is the first time I have switched this laptop on in 40 days, since last reporting that the fan had died.

Was switching it on to very quickly update the antivirus etc before taking it to have a new system fan installed and hey presto...the fan has just started up!

Fan releatively quiet again and the computer is cool - a far cry from the way it was previously, although, it is still running very. very slowly.

I will therefore run the checks/tests/measures suggested previously and report back....

Regards

Paul

#12 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hi,

Okay, so I've now done the following:

1. Defragmented the C Drive
2. Run Disk Cleanup
3. Run TFC
4. Run SuperAntiSpyware (Removed 30 tracking cookies)
5. Run chkdsk /r
6. Run sfc /scannow

Internet explorer definitley seems to be running a bit more smooth, although some programs still taking a while to open.

Paul

#13 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

Does this issue started after the infection?

You have tried most of the tools.

Try the tool of Micrsoft FixIt that search for defect add-ons: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_freezes_or_crashes/

#14 Pablo_C1976

Pablo_C1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hi,

Not too sure to be honest, possibly. Have to say, IE definitely running without as many freezes, but they are sstill occurring.

Will now run the suggested programme and report back.

#15 saraovana

saraovana

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Are you using IE9? If so, try uninstalling it and use IE8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users