Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

where to buy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm working on my friend's wife's laptop for her and I've decided they could use some memory. They're running vista with 1GB at the moment and it's easily using 60% of the memory without me running much if anything. Anyway... Just talked to my friend, he'll check with his wife but he seemed to think they'd want to get some memory for it. I should know by tomorrow.
So, I started looking around. You sure can find a lot of prices. He's like me and doesn't like to spend a lot of money on things so the more we can save the better. I started thinking about Amazon.com since my wife already has an account on there... I believe I have a newegg account but it's been a few years... I can find stuff cheaper on amazon than newegg... But while I was looking I decided to sort things by rating as I REALLY didn't know about trusting some things... like a 1gig stick for $4 with no customer rating... yeah, I'm not sure about that one.
Anyway... I want to make sure I get something that wont be junk, from a reliable place and at the same time be as cheap as possible...
So I'm just curios... would you buy ram from amazon? would you stick to something like newegg? Does it matter to you?
I saw on amazon prices ranging from $20-30 for a 2gig stick, some might have been cheaper but that was average, and newegg has them starting at $25.99.

Anyway...... I figured it wouldn't hurt to get an opinion or three before I buy something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

For trust and customer service and satisfaction I've used http://www.4allmemory.com/ for over 10 years and never been disappointed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks...
After looking, the price is a little higher $34.99 but what I don't understand is that for each size and speed there's only one choice and they don't even mention name brands.

I know you get what you pay for(most of the time) but I might have to be cheaper than that.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Older memory are usually more expensive then the latest ram which is DDR3. In my opinion, Kingston seems to be pretty reliable for ram.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

<<So I'm just curios... would you buy ram from amazon? would you stick to something like newegg? Does it matter to you?>>

I do/did. I purchase RAM from Newegg only when I'm purchasing something else there. The vendor doesn't really matter a great deal, IME, as long as I get the proper memory for the motherboard. I've purchased RAM from maybe 5 or 6 different vendors and they were all "no problem" purchases.

You can use the Crucial.com or any other memory site with a configurator...to ensure that you get the proper memory for the system/motherboard. You can then track that RAM down, based on price...at other reliable vendors.

Some things to be aware of:

a. There are various types of DDR...DDR, DDR2, DD$3...and they are not compatible.

b. There are various types of RAM (high-density, low-density) which will not work in every system. That's one of the reasons it's considered a good idea to go with a vendor who allows return and guarantees that the RAM module will work in the identified board/system.

Louis

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Thanks. I had run a scan at crucial.com and found it was DDR2 PC2-5300 and it told me just how much I could put in... so that was helpful.
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

I buy 95% of my parts from newegg, with an occasional jump over to tigerdirect.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Newegg, Tiger Direct, Amazon, My local PC Shop, Best Buy, & Walmart.

Yes I purchase parts from Wally World, namely keyboards and mice.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users