Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FireFox missing history and Bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aztime

aztime

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hi, FireFox has lost my History and Bookmarks. I tried to import bookmarks, it won't and I tried checking boxes to make Bookmarks and History come back, it doesn't. I upgraded to Firefox 12, didn't help. The "back" button doesn't work either.

Google text is black instead of blue and the cursor (little hand) is missing when on most links. Just a vertical line now.After a while FF crashes.

About the time this started I downloaded an install application for Ulead photo editing program from phpnuke.org but canceled the program download because it was going to take 2 hours. I ordered a camera online about the same time too. Would these mess up Firefox history/Bookmarks?

I ran AVG and MalwareBytes, no infections found.

If I switch to a different user, Firefox works perfect, no crashes, history and Bookmarks all work too.

Its windows 7, all Microsoft updates. Help please. Thank you.

Tim.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Sounds like a corrupted profile. Easiest fix is probably going to be to create a new profile then attempt to migrate any important info into the new profile. Start here: "Managing Profiles" and here: "Recovering Important Data From an Old Profile"
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 aztime

aztime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for your help, apparently Profile Manager doesn't exist anymore in FireFox 12. Should I uninstall and install? Would my bookmarks return then? Thanks.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Profile manager is still there. Read the instructions again - you may have to include the full path to Firefox.exe, and it is required to fully close Firefox before trying to run "firefox.exe -p".

If you do a simple uninstall/reinstall, I believe the reinstall will grab onto to old profile, likely leaving you in the same situation.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Firefox makes regular backups of bookmarks which you can use to restore from. To access it, do the following.

• Hit CTRL+SHIFT+B to open the Bookmarks Library.
  • Click "Import and Backup" and the top and then choose "Restore". You can choose a date to restore from.
There's no History backup though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users