Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About Notebook's Power Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zkteh

zkteh

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hi,
i am using a HP MINI 110-3004TU NETBOOK ///////// Part Number : XC638PA
I having a power issue , which is intermittenly ( very hard to diagnose )..... ???

my computer will suddenly cut off the power ( like no eletric current ) ....
but with battery no problem at all , ( whcih means mobo have no issue )
and which means most likely is the power adapter issue ......
but the HP agents told me that it also can be the power port problem .... ( did you think this is possible ? )

Here are some Image OF my Notebook
Posted Image
( Normal Operating Power Adapter )

Posted Image
( When the power goes off )

a HP agent told me that the power adapter 's warranty is same as the unit (PC), so i don't care about it because my PC still covered under warranty .......
and now the power adapter is out of warranty !!!!! ----> he/she can't be a agent !!! he/she must be replaced !!!!!
in fact the power adapter is only having ONE YEAR period of warranty ......

Thank You ....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

What you are experiencing can be caused by a defective AC Adapter or the Port in the computer.

One way to test it is to try another AC Adapter and if the problem still happens then it is the connection inside the computer.

If the computer is still under warranty I would back up the hard drive first and then arrange to have it serviced under the warranty.

What happens to cause the issue when the adapter is bad is that the wires eventually break and cause a intermittent connection as you describe.

What happens when the issue is inside the laptop (Netbook) is that the DC in jack connections to the motherboard can break at the solder joints and cause teh same problem.

That is why the suggestion to pin it down if you can borrow a AC adapter to use for testing.

In my experience the DC in on the motherboard causes more intermittent connection issues than the Adapter.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 May 2012 - 04:06 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 zkteh

zkteh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

Okay....
Your Suggestion is good but i already knew it :whistle: :P

"In my experience the DC in on the motherboard causes more intermittent connection issues than the Adapter."
---> is this happen frequently ? or is the quality problem ? e.g. soldering / jack

" What happens when the issue is inside the laptop (Netbook) is that the DC in jack connections to the motherboard can break at the solder joints and cause teh same problem. " ---> i am really can't understand this .... :wacko:

Thank You :thumbup2:

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

There is a circuit board called the motherboard.

In some models the Jack that the AC adapter plugs into connects to the motherboard with a cable that plugs into the motherboard. Many Toshiba and Lenovo models use that design.

The other way is a jack that the AC adapter is soldered onto the motherboard. Either the jack itself or the solder connection can break and cause the problem you are seeing.

This page shows examples of both types https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=619&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=UKeiT_WTKYL16AHzz8DSCA&q=HP%20Mini%20DC%20jack&orq=HP+Mini+DC++jack

This page shows the other type http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm-img/472706913-DC107-1-65mm-Laptop-DC-jack-for-Compaq-Mini-700series-HP-Mini-1000series-HP-Mini-1000-wholesalers.html
If you look at the center jack the prongs that are sticking up are what go through openings in the motherboard and get soldered.

It looks like the odds are you have one that plugs in via a short cable.

If you examine the jack in the laptop are there any signs of cracking or is the center post loose?

When you look at the wire by the laptop end of the plug from the AC Adapter is there any signs that there may be damage there?

a common cause of damage includes bumping the connection the adapter is connected to.

To any further you will have to substitute the AC adapter I'm afraid. Unless you have access to a voltmeter and can measure the DC output while wiggling the wire around the plug.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 zkteh

zkteh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

If you examine the jack in the laptop are there any signs of cracking or is the center post loose?

When you look at the wire by the laptop end of the plug from the AC Adapter is there any signs that there may be damage there?

They are fine ... :thumbup2:

a common cause of damage includes bumping the connection the adapter is connected to.

I don't understand this ....

To any further you will have to substitute the AC adapter I'm afraid. Unless you have access to a voltmeter and can measure the DC output while wiggling the wire around the plug.

Why we must wiggling the wire ..... ? To check the stability of the current ?

Edited by zkteh, 20 May 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:20 AM

Have a look at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic426626.html
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

I don't understand this ....

When the AC adapter is plugged in bumping it banging against anything can break the plastic in the DC in inside the laptop or break the Solder connection to the motherboard

Why we must wiggling the wire ..... ? To check the stability of the current ?

What can happen is the solder Connection inside the laptop can still have the circuit competed if the jack is in the right position, this doesn't work for long since the solder is soft and the opening in it gets larger until it can't be touched by the jacks pin.

Also sometimes the wire breaks at the plug on the AC adapter and holding it in the right position can compete the circuit. This to doesn't work for real long.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users