Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worried about the laptop hard disk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SyZy

SyZy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

This is the first time I'm using a laptop; all these years I've used only a desktop.

I read full books on the laptop. What I do is I lie down on the bed and keep the laptop on the side - not resting on its bottom(!) - and read books this way. Sometimes I hold the laptop on my chest and my arm keeps swaying from time to time.

From what I know, hard disks should not be moved when they are running. So considering the way I'm using the laptop, will the hard disk get damaged?

:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

Essentially, as long as you don't drop it, you are fine. Only thing I worry about when I have the lappy in the sack is keeping the cooling slots uncovered.

Now the old, old hard drives (20+ years ago) could run into problems with changing positions, much like the wife, but it is not a concern with younger models.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

To extend the reply by dpunisher.

When you lay it on its side make sure that you are not blocking the cooling air exhaust ports. You'll know if you block the intake or exhaust as you will hear the cooling fan speeding up in am attempt to keep the CPU cool.

My take is that you have to be careful not to knock it off the bed.

As far as hard drive protection, some brands have a feature to stop the hard drive if the laptop detects a impact. Mostly business models. My Toshiba business model for example if I bump it will display a hard drive stopped warning.

Also a SSD drive is pretty much immune to impact as it has no moving parts. Expensive however.

Dropping a laptop can damage the hard drive, or the screen or the DC in connection or any combination of those.
so be careful.

You can lay the laptop in a normal orientation if you have a hard surface under it to prevent blocking the air flow. A thin sheet of plywood for example or a laptop cooling pad.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Essentially, as long as you don't drop it, you are fine. Only thing I worry about when I have the lappy in the sack is keeping the cooling slots uncovered.

Now the old, old hard drives (20+ years ago) could run into problems with changing positions, much like the wife, but it is not a concern with younger models.

Ha, Been there done that. My first hard drive a Seagate 20Mb MFM model (ST 225 I think) I forgot to park the heads before turning it off and then turning the computer over to do something. After I did that I had to start it over with a Low Level format and then partition and high level format. Reload DOS etc.

So yup, the new drives are so much more durable. The first improvement being autopark for the heads.

Cheers
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 SyZy

SyZy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

Thanks, I'm not worried about the HDD now.

btw, if I disable the HDD in the BIOS, and then boot Linux through a Live CD, the HDD won't spin at all, will it?

#6 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Since its still plugged up to power, it *may* spin up during the power-on phase. Not something I'd really worry about though.

How old is the system/drive? If you'd like to check the SMART values of the drive, you could post a Speccy snapshot here for us to look at.
Posted Image

#7 SyZy

SyZy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

The laptop's a new one, two months old.

The HDD is a Toshiba MK6475GXS:

http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd.php?hdd=TOSHIBA+MK6475GSX

http://storage.toshiba.eu/cms/en/hdd/multimedia/product_detail.jsp?productid=415

Because its new, I don't want to mess it up. The two drives on my desktop are both SMART fail. I'll download something to check the SMART for this one.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

I would expect the hard drive to spin if disabled in the bios, or in Linux off of a boot CD.

Just from curiosity what is the Make and Model of the laptop? Some models of Toshiba and Lenovo laptops for example have Hard Drive protection software and sensors. (mostly business models.)

Enjoy the new laptop.
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 SyZy

SyZy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Its a Toshiba Satellite L755 - S5107.

When it spins (disabled in BIOS or booted off a Linux live CD), would the head also be above the platter, or would it be at rest, at the side, what they call parking. Sorry, I don't know much about hard disks.

Edited by SyZy, 10 May 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Look and see if it is loading the Toshiba HD/SSD Alert.

I believe that is the software that monitors for vibration.

You can run it and look at the settings. By Default it should be loaded.

167 @ June 2015

#11 SyZy

SyZy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

There is an HDD SSD Alert.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Did you open it? I was just curious if it has settings or not. I'd look at my Toshiba but I don't have it with me right now.
I believe that is the one that stops the hard drive if it needs to be protected.
If so you are good

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 May 2012 - 09:42 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#13 SyZy

SyZy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

I looked at it, but it has no settings. It just checks the drive silently and gives the message that everything is fine. I don't think my laptop has this feature where the hard disk is stopped if the laptop falls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users