Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vimeo.com safe or not??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 purplewarrior

purplewarrior

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Hi guys,
I hope that you guys know about vimeo.com
There's this guy mjfromga on siteadvisor saying that "good site but its affiliated with mindpsark.com the host of funwebproducts (MWS adware).. weird" and this guy spaceyavin saying that "Vimeo's pretty safe. The only thing I dislike about it though is this: MindSpark... I've never been a fan of the MindSpark/IAC MyWebSearch spyware. This one seems pretty safe, though.".
I am totally confused now. I need to access the site today for some private reasons. So can anyone investigate this site and assure me that theres nothing to worry.
Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2012 - 07:16 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

PC World Review

I know that this does not answer your question...but, honestly...I rely on my AV/firewall to protect me from unsafe sites and. unless I get a warning about a given site via my system defenses...I don't worry about whether it's safe or not.

McAfee Site Advisor, http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/vimeo.com/summary/ . I certainly don't vouch for or believe in the accuracy of "site advisor" listings, considering the fact that I believe such are probably outdated due to the nature of the Web...as well as being predicated on positive or negative feedback of visitors to a given site. I have no idea how McAfee determines its ratings.

Louis

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Vimeo is safe. I posted a Vimeo video of jazz sax player David S. Ware on my blog yesterday. I don't like Vimeo because the clip takes too long to load but I have used the site occasionally and have never had a problem with it. A lot of content creators prefer Vimeo to Youtube because the revenue sharing deal is better. Though I think Youtube has improved in that area recently. I don't use Site Advisor or similar sites for the reasons Louis gave. It is user curated and therefore unreliable.

Edited by frankp316, 02 May 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#4 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

Hi guys,
Thanks for ur replies.
Actually I'd like someone to test the site for adware for me(I will give you some :flowers: in return,LULZ).
Anyone looking forward to help me,let me know.
Thank you in advance.

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

You don't have anything to worry about with Vimeo. It's owned by a giant US Internet company called InterActiveCorp

If you want peace of mind and use Firefox, install VTZilla which enables you to scan links for viruses before you visit them. You can also use it to scan files before you download them.

If you haven't got Firefox, you can download it from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

Actually I'd like someone to test the site for adware for me(I will give you some :flowers: in return,LULZ).

It is unlikely that my security set up is identical to yours. Therefore what I may or may not see on any given website, be it Vimeo or here for that matter could in all likelihood be different. Therefore I have no idea what ads you may or may not see while browsing the web. I will tell you that the site is safe from 'my perspective', your individual mileage may vary.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

IIRC, Vimeo doesn't even have ads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users